ZTR PTO belt keeps coming off when PTO is engaged

schmidtsm

Threads
  • / ZTR PTO belt keeps coming off when PTO is engaged
Hello,

The PTO belt broke off and i put the a new spare on and it keeps coming off when i try to engage the PTO. Are there any newby mistakes that i may be making? I am puting it on per the instructions in the manual. Could the tension be to tight. One side has a pulley with a spring and the other side can be adjusted by loosening a nut and bolt then moving the pulley up or down to increase or decrease the tension. I first posted this on the Grasshopper forum but i didn't get any responses therefore i am going polling other forums to see if there is some general advice that can help.

Thanks,

Shane

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the model numbers

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Model 220 was only produced from 2000-2005 according to my records. Would you please post the model and serial numbers, which are located on a tag under the seat.

schmidtsm

Threads
Rivets said:
Model 220 was only produced from 2000-2005 according to my records. Would you please post the model and serial numbers, which are located on a tag under the seat.

I've verified the model number and year with Grasshopper the serial number is 5715737

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Boy, you are throwing me for a loop here. I can't find any manuals for your unit. The serial number 5715737 says 2007. The model number 220 says 2000-2005. I have an idea of what your problem is but with a diagram it is very hard to explain. Sorry to ask this, but canyou post a picture of your deck and how you have the belt routed. I'm thinking that the tensioner pulley shaft is worn, allowing the pulley to wobble. My problem is I can't picture the set-up for a 220.

schmidtsm

Threads
It looks the same as a 2005 as far as the diagrams are concerned

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You may be correct about the tensioner being too tight, but I would check to see if any of the pulleys have a wobble to them without tension. If they do, they will wobble more under tension, causing the belt to come off. The tensioner arm should not wobble either, so check the pedestal bearings also.

schmidtsm

Threads
One pulley had a slight wobble to it I replaced it and it works as good as new! Thanks again

graydog

Threads
Just for general information: My Great Dane 60" mower's idler pulley (the first one on the deck that the belt goes on after leaving the clutch) is very wide. If I am mowing with the deck down low, the belt rides to the top of this pulley. If I am mowing with the deck raised, the belt moves to the bottom of this pulley. I have found it is better to engage the clutch with the deck set at the same height it had been in when it was last dis-engaged. That puts less strain on the belt.

Great Dane also suggests giving the motor full throttle when engaging clutch.
Slow motor speed makes the belt bounce and shakes the mower.

I have been ordering Kevlar wrapped belts from:
http://www.vbelts4less.com/Kevlar-B-Section-K-Plus-V-Belts_c_56-3-1.html
I am very satisfied with their quality. They are about 1/3 the price of local belts & if multiple belts are ordered, they will ship two or three for the price of one.

Last edited: