ZTR Decision

Brucebotti

Threads
I had been looking at tractors and ZTR's to replace my Craftsman GT. I was leaning towards a tractor, but to get something better than what I have, brought me into ZTR territory. My criteria are: 48" cut; fabricated deck; Serviceable drives (ZT2800 or higher); under $4,000 and a local dealer. I have it whittled down to two choices:

- Toro Time CutterMX50 @ $3999
- Ariens Zoom XL48 @ $3899

I love everything about the Ariens, but I am a little nervous about the Kohler Courage engine. I saw a Gravely which is identical to the Ariens, except that it has the Kawasaki engine. It is $300 more.

What do you guys think? The reviews on both machines are very good. The Ariens recently went from the Kawi to the Kohler, so the reviews may be a little tainted.

Thanks,
Bruce

RatRacer

Threads
I had been looking at tractors and ZTR's to replace my Craftsman GT. I was leaning towards a tractor, but to get something better than what I have, brought me into ZTR territory. My criteria are: 48" cut; fabricated deck; Serviceable drives (ZT2800 or higher); under $4,000 and a local dealer. I have it whittled down to two choices:

I love everything about the Ariens, but I am a little nervous about the Kohler Courage engine. I saw a Gravely which is identical to the Ariens, except that it has the Kawasaki engine. It is $300 more.

What do you guys think? The reviews on both machines are very good. The Ariens recently went from the Kawi to the Kohler, so the reviews may be a little tainted.

Thanks,
Bruce

I'd spring the extra $300 for the Kawi. It's not like Gravely is a no name brand in this hunt.:licking:

Brucebotti

Threads
I'd spring the extra $300 for the Kawi. It's not like Gravely is a no name brand in this hunt.:licking:

I was thinking the same thing. The dealer is a little further away, but does have a good reputation.

Why is it that whenever I'm looking to buy something, the cost I end up with is almost nearly double my original estimate....an extra $250 for this...$300 for that....:laughing:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was thinking the same thing. The dealer is a little further away, but does have a good reputation.

Why is it that whenever I'm looking to buy something, the cost I end up with is almost nearly double my original estimate....an extra $250 for this...$300 for that....:laughing:

Brucebotti,
Yeah, I started out with a $4k-$5k budget and ended up with a $6k-$7k expenditure:0)
BTW, if you have a Big Dog(made by Hustler) dealer nearby, throw one of those into the mix(especially, the R-Series). Both users RatRacer and Old Goat will confirm the wisdom behind considering that brand!!!

Brucebotti

Threads
Brucebotti,
Yeah, I started out with a $4k-$5k budget and ended up with a $6k-$7k expenditure:0)
BTW, if you have a Big Dog(made by Hustler) dealer nearby, throw one of those into the mix(especially, the R-Series). Both users RatRacer and Old Goat will confirm the wisdom behind considering that brand!!!

Thanks for the info. I'll see if there is a Big Dog dealer close by
Bruce

Brucebotti

Threads
Brucebotti,

I looked, and the nearest Big Dog dealer is 68 miles from me. That kinda rules them out..:frown:
Thanks,
Bruce

Brucebotti

Threads
Well, does anyone have any first hand knowledge / experience that they would like to share on the two ZTR's that I am interested in?

Thanks,
Bruce

Old Goat

Threads
I looked, and the nearest Big Dog dealer is 68 miles from me. That kinda rules them out..:frown:
Thanks,
Bruce

I drove 100 miles to get mine. Best decision I made, good price and great machine plus I doubt I'll be going back for repairs.

Well, does anyone have any first hand knowledge / experience that they would like to share on the two ZTR's that I am interested in?

Thanks,
Bruce

Neither one of these tell you what the blade tip speed is.

Toro | TimeCutter® MX5060 - Zero Turn Lawn Mowers

Ariens Specifications

SO, WHAT are you buying???

I wouldn't.

Charles

Old Goat

Threads
Don't know about those dealers, but my Big Dog dealer let me try a demo, no charge.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I drove 100 miles to get mine. Best decision I made, good price and great machine plus I doubt I'll be going back for repairs.

Neither one of these tell you what the blade tip speed is.

Toro | TimeCutterョ MX5060 - Zero Turn Lawn Mowers

Ariens Specifications

SO, WHAT are you buying???

I wouldn't.

Charles

Old Goat,

Personally, I would be more concerned with the Kohler Courage engine on that Ariens Zoom than I would about the blade tip speed. I think it's a given that the BTS spec is omitted because entry level ZTR's in this price range won't always have a comparable deck design or BTS compared to your Big Dog R-Series or my Gravely Commercial ZTR's. However, the "entry level" Gravely ZT 50" does give a BTS of 17,800 which ain't bad for an "entry level" ZTR(and that 50" has a MSRP of $3199..with a Kawasaki engine...and is cheaper than both the Toro and Ariens the OP is looking at). Oh well, I guess I'm "biased":0)