ZT HD 52 WON'T START

copperhead910

Forum Newbie
Threads
My gravely zt hd 52 zero turn mower with a Kohler engine won't start. It has a new 330 cca battery but won't turn a full revolution when trying to crank it. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Turns a bit then stops then turns a bit and stops is most likely either a hydro lock or valve lash out of spec
First confirm that you can turn the engine over by hand by rotating with your palm on the debris shield.
If not then pull the spark plug & try again
If petrol gushes out then you have a hydro lock & the carb needs a clean because the float valve is not shutting the fuel off.
If you can turn by hand & no petrol comes out then see if the starter will crank the engine, should be very fast .
make sure the spark plug is grounded and out of the way lest you want a flame thrower .

copperhead910

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let me start by thanking you bertsmobile1 for your prompt reply to my post. I did as you instructed and I determined that I can spin the engine with my hand. I removed my engine cover to clean some debris off the engine and this allowed me to discover that when I apply power to the starter the Bendix engages the starter but does not spin it more than 1/4 of a revolution and does not retract or disengage from the flywheel. I'm thinking a bench test is in order. Should I be concerned about the relay? And you mentioned a possible concern with the valve lash so I checked my hour meter and I'm about 150 hours shy of the recommended service interval but I can say that the hours on the mower are all "hard mowing" and it has been getting progressively harder to start. I do have some mechanical skills but I still have alot to be desired when it comes to small engines so any knowledge you could slide my way would be tremendously appreciated! Thanks again and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on these matters! COPPERHEAD910

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Valve lash is the next thing to check
The recommended periods are for when there is no problems so are scheduled maintenance

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Which Kohler engine? Model and spec numbers please.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is your mower and engine still under warranty? If so, it should be checked by the dealer.