zoning commision shut me down

tybilly

Threads
well i was shot down today for starting a small engine repair bussiness,went to get proper liscences and tax numbers and they said i cant,i was wanting to do retail on parts and warranty work for MTD,i called dixie sales up in North carolina and they wouldnt answer any questions unless i had a tax ID number,can anyone tell me what it takes to be a warranty center for a product line?im not going out to rent a building if i have to borrow a bunch of capita.Thanks

chance123

Threads
In a lot of cases you must be a dealer for a certain brand name and sell their products before they allow you to warranty their products. Many times this means having to have inventory/parts in stock. Personally, I do not do warranties and am not even a dealer. It's a big waste of time and effort. (been there/done that) This otherwise wasted time is converted into repairs that equate$ to profit/low overhead.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
well i was shot down today for starting a small engine repair bussiness,went to get proper liscences and tax numbers and they said i cant,i was wanting to do retail on parts and warranty work for MTD,i called dixie sales up in North carolina and they wouldnt answer any questions unless i had a tax ID number,can anyone tell me what it takes to be a warranty center for a product line?im not going out to rent a building if i have to borrow a bunch of capita.Thanks

The last track I had to be a MTD service center required prerequisite dealerships in Briggs, Kohler, Lauson/Tecumseh, Hydrogear, and ESA (Engine Service association) certifications in two stroke, four stroke, and hydraulics.

The startup required inventory will run you about $5-8 thousand. Briggs requires stocking 3 engines or more, Kohler requires 1 the last track I had. MTD now has a startup inventory requirement which has changed in the past few years.

Briggs school is 4 days and cost about $500 plus 4 nights in a motel. Kohler school is 4.5 day, cost about $500 plus four nights in a motel.

tybilly

Threads
thank guys,i atleast have a clue now,where the distributor wasnt interested in answering my questions,i have a wholsale distributor wich is good.i use as much aftermarket as i can,since the zoning wont allow me to operate a bussiness in my shed ill just have to keep things at minimum.neighbors and friends,flipping mowers to pawnshops and craigslist etc..