Zero Turn with Kawasaki FR651 "Burns" Grass when stopped - What's a good solution?

Josh01010

Threads
  • / Zero Turn with Kawasaki FR651 "Burns" Grass when stopped - What's a good solution?
There are a couple design flaws on this zero turn (TImeCutter Z4235). The first being the placement of the air filter, which sucks in dirt when using a rear bagger setup. The second is the muffler at the rear/underside of the mower is so close to the ground, that when you stop (say to empty the bagger), you'll end up with a rectangular scorch mark in your grass (especially when cutting at 3.5 to 4.0) inches.

Has anyone come up with a good/reliable/inexpensive solution?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Zero Turn with Kawasaki FR651 "Burns" Grass when stopped - What's a good solution?
There are a couple design flaws on this zero turn (TImeCutter Z4235). The first being the placement of the air filter, which sucks in dirt when using a rear bagger setup. The second is the muffler at the rear/underside of the mower is so close to the ground, that when you stop (say to empty the bagger), you'll end up with a rectangular scorch mark in your grass (especially when cutting at 3.5 to 4.0) inches.

I had the same issue of grass scorching with a two Toro ZTRs, with the 708cc Loncin engines. I tried to get off the grass, when not moving.
For the dust issue with the air filter, at least add a foam pre-filter over the stock filter.
If you want to spend some money, you can upgrade to a Donaldson style filter.

Josh01010

Threads
I had the same issue of grass scorching with a two Toro ZTRs, with the 708cc Loncin engines. I tried to get off the grass, when not moving.
For the dust issue with the air filter, at least add a foam pre-filter over the stock filter.
I've seen the donaldson style, it seems the commercial versions of these motors come with that setup. Pricey though. You can buy the pieces on amazon for a little less, but you don't get the mounting bracket, and the intake hose will take some digging to find.

I think i might try some heat wrap, cheap enough, though probably going to be a headache to put on, but might look good in the end. https://a.co/d/9AcYWW6

My other thought is an aluminum paint roller tray. Even cheaper, reflective, rust proof, but not sure it will offer enough protection.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good to see some one in the USA is finally offering the complete kit as a kit .
We have had them down here from day 1 but Oz tends to be lot dustier than most places .
When I fit them I do not use the metal FX blower housing as it adds a lot to the cost
As TimeCutters come with ROPS standard I buy a length of convoluted rubber tubing long enough to go to the ROPS and bolt the air filter to the ROPS
IT can be fitted vertical or horizontal, makes no difference to the filter
Inside on the right side seems to work best so it is sort of behind the seat
On a mower owned by a woman who has the seat full forward it is mounted to the seat bracket bolts .
Doing this makes it easy to remover the blower housing to do an annual fin clean which is a must if you bag
Spend the extra few $$$ and buy the flow gauge .
Do not touch the filter till the flow gauge is in the red
With domestic use you will probably never need to touch the filter for as long as you own it .
Stens, Rotary, Prime Line all do aftermarket filter elements .
I replace the OUTER only on the commercial mowers at around 1000 hours , this is well before the red zone
In 11 years I have never replaced an inner on any of them apart from the 2 skid steers and the Ditch Witch.
They get new outers around every 3 years or so and a new inner on every second outer but of course it costs then a lot more than just the repair if the equipment breaks down or is off the road for a week or more for an engine rebuild ( actually they just get me to instal replacement engines if I tell them a major engine job is needed , even if it is just a leaking sump gasket )

There are lots of heat shields available but if your mower is burning the grass as bad a you are telling us I would guess that it is overheating which causes it to run lean so the exhaust is a lot hotter than it should be .

upupandaway

Threads

How about visiting a car salvage yard and getting the heat shield that blocked heat from the muffler or cat and cut it to fit your muffler?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Header wrap. You can grab a header tube with your bare hand.

1689976445698.png

Josh01010

Threads
Got around to installing the heat shield, materials on hand. The end result was successful. I would up cutting an 'exhaust port' to let some of the heat/fumes flow a little better. I do like the header wrap. If I wind up destroying this somehow, I'd likely go with that solution.

Attachments

• LargeNailwithPin.jpg
    LargeNailwithPin.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Installed.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 13
  • ExhaustPort.jpg
    ExhaustPort.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 13

Lawn Addict
Threads
Threads
I too started to see these brown spots where I stop to empty my bags of clippings. I thought that can't be the muffler. I have a metal plate under my muffler factory made. The thing covers the whole muffler and is useless. Well now I stop in the driveway to empty the contents.

The filter does get dirty and I have a Model 75755 which has the Toro brand motor. I replace the filter two or three times a year. It gets filthy dirty especially doing leaf clean ups. They cost around $10 each.