ZERKS on X500 mower deck

bckskin2

Threads
Are the grease ZERKS on an X500 mower deck pressed in? Are they replaceable? With my grease gun nozzle tightened as tight as I can the grease still squirts out around it.
Jerry

gfp55

Threads
I can't say for sure that the zerks are pressed it or not on your machine. Good zerks are screwed in, but the zerks you have may be a different size then standard zerks. You may try a different grease gun if you can from a friend or somebody. If a different grease gun does not work either you may have to change them. You can see the threads of a standard zerk and you can see how a wrench fits on it to remove and tighten it. I hope this helps.
9k=
If you google image the words standard grease zerk you should be able to see what a zerk looks like before it is installed.

bckskin2

Threads
I have 2 guns and 3 tips all are loose.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You may have a bad grease gun coupler. They do come in different designs. 3 or 4 jaw or you can get what they call a needle nozzle. I sure wouldn't want to change the grease fittings to screw in style because the time you drill and thread them you will end up getting metal filing into your bearings.

gfp55

Threads
(John Deere) does not call them grease zerks they call them grease fittings. If they take the time to call them grease fittings instead of what they have been called for decades and decades, then they have a special size fitting. They sell world wide so I'm thinking they use metric size grease zerks (fittings).

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
They probably go to a sealed bearing anyway so don't waste your time being concerned whether they take grease.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They probably go to a sealed bearing anyway so don't waste your time being concerned whether they take grease.

I have seen this, but where I have seen it is on pillow block bearings. Grease fitting and sealed bearings. I will just take a guess here but I will say that any fittings on his mower has a reason for being there. If he can't get a 3 or 4 jaw grease gun coupler to work which I have seen happen, I have has very good luck with either a nozzle or point grease gun coupler. You can buy them from most auto parts stores. I own and seen the point grease gun coupler to grease the bar tips of chain saws. I will say a nice new 3 jaw grease gun coupler will take care of his problem. Yes I do think that different manufactures make grease fitting in just a little different sizes but that shouldn't prevent them from taking grease.

gfp55

Threads

I would try replacing one or two grease fittings and see if they that grease, maybe two or three pumps after you change the zerks. If they take grease after the change then go on and replace the ones that don't take grease.

SC you maybe right about sealed bearings, but manufactures save money by not installing grease fittings with sealed bearings, so my guess is that the bearings are greaseable.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would try replacing one or two grease fittings and see if they that grease, maybe two or three pumps after you change the zerks. If they take grease after the change then go on and replace the ones that don't take grease.

SC you maybe right about sealed bearings, but manufactures save money by not installing grease fittings with sealed bearings, so my guess is that the bearings are greaseable.

Yes it wouldn't hurt to replace some fittings to see if they take grease. You said they were press in type fittings which takes a special driver to install them. What I used before I bought this special driver was a small socket. They can be a little tricky to install without the driver.

gfp55

Threads
Yes it wouldn't hurt to replace some fittings to see if they take grease. You said they were press in type fittings which takes a special driver to install them. What I used before I bought this special driver was a small socket. They can be a little tricky to install without the driver.

I never said they were press in zerks.