zerk fitting near deck on turf tiger

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Well...I finally found the zerk fitting near the rear deck on my turf tiger but only by feel (cant see it lying down). However, when they made the turf tiger they put a bolt right beneath it. You guessed it. Right where I need to place the end of my grease gun nozzle. Anyone with a turf tiger that can help in this matter would be appreciated. Can I remove that bolt and replace it after greasing without consequences? Are there other possibilities?

Thanks as always.

-bobby

LandN

Threads
do you have enough room to put in a 90 degree zerk

Bobby Boyd

Threads
I was just thinking about that very thing. Also, what about using a needle nozzle. That would give more reach but have never used one.

fastback

Threads
I was also thinking a 90 and or/and a extender.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are straight and 90 degree needle nozzles available, I use a straight one to lube the bearings on the collection system blower, the inner bearing area is tight. These grease gun adapters are tools that I had in my aviation tool box having been an aircraft mech over the years, but they are generally available.
Mad Mackie in CT

Bobby Boyd

Threads
I was looking at purchasing from Northern Tool "Performance Tool Grease Gun Accessory Kit-7Pc set Model #W50049. Cost is 39.99 plus tax.

I love my scag turf tiger but any rudimentary engineering course would tell the student if it needs grease make it easily accessible or it won't get greased.

As a side note: On the Kohler 27 hp engine they have the engine oil filter horizontal instead of vertical but yet say to fill filter with oil when changing. Not possible without spillage and alot of it.

One other note: There is a zerk fitting somewhere around the inside of the wheel housing (wheel must be taken off so I have been told to see it).

east_tn_emc

Threads
Which grease fitting are you all talking about? I hit every one listed in the owners manual (with the exception of the two behind the wheels, which are for the parking brake pivots, which I hit once a year) every ~25-50 hours.

Are you talking about the ones that are on the U-joints on the drive shaft or the trailing-arms that go from the rear of the mower deck up to the frame behind the wheels?

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Which grease fitting are you all talking about? I hit every one listed in the owners manual (with the exception of the two behind the wheels, which are for the parking brake pivots, which I hit once a year) every ~25-50 hours.

Are you talking about the ones that are on the U-joints on the drive shaft or the trailing-arms that go from the rear of the mower deck up to the frame behind the wheels?

Yes. The one closest to the deck. Front U-joint.

-bobby

east_tn_emc

Threads
Mine has a guard/bracket that covers the bottom and sides of the lower U-joint. It was put on as part of a recall that included new heat-shields and new muffler.

On the left side of that bracket (as you are sitting in the operator's seat) there is a roughly 3/4" hole. If I rotate the driveshaft to the "correct" point, the grease-fitting on that lower U-joint lines-up with that hole and I am able to use an ordinary straight grease-gun to grease it. The hole is located in such a position that the U-joint yolk is opened up and the grease gun fits on the zerk fitting perfectly and without interference.

My mower is sitting in the garage right now waiting for the temperature to cool down some so that I can grease it and put new blades on. I will take a pic while I am greasing it and post it here.

If it matters, I have the 72" deck and the 35HP liquid-cooled Briggs engine.

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Mine has a guard/bracket that covers the bottom and sides of the lower U-joint. It was put on as part of a recall that included new heat-shields and new muffler.

On the left side of that bracket (as you are sitting in the operator's seat) there is a roughly 3/4" hole. If I rotate the driveshaft to the "correct" point, the grease-fitting on that lower U-joint lines-up with that hole and I am able to use an ordinary straight grease-gun to grease it. The hole is located in such a position that the U-joint yolk is opened up and the grease gun fits on the zerk fitting perfectly and without interference.

My mower is sitting in the garage right now waiting for the temperature to cool down some so that I can grease it and put new blades on. I will take a pic while I am greasing it and post it here.

If it matters, I have the 72" deck and the 35HP liquid-cooled Briggs engine.

I really appreciate your responses. A picture would be great. How do I rotate the driveshaft? I never new I could do that.

Regards,

-bobby