Z425 drive belt

rubantin

Threads
Deere calls for a 42.25 X .5 belt... Can I just use a 42? Does the .25 really matter?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In a word No
Back in the days when engineers designed things they would design a belt run that used a standard size belt because they are cheaper for them to buy and it just makes good engineering sense .
Now days risk adverse accountants with computers design mowers and all of the belt makers have nice drop in spread sheets to work out the OPTIMUM belt length .
So they drop in the pulley sizes distances between centres , loads , linnear & rotational speeds and as if by magic out pops 292.012345" so that is what they order .
IF the belts cause problems then they blame the belt makers
What does every person under 45 say the instant they open their mouth ?
"It's not my fault,,,,,,"

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are 3 different drivetrain versions of the z425. All 3 use different length belts. Be sure you have the correct one

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What I see on JDparts is only two different belts. One for the wheel motor version and one for the all in one hydrostatic transaxles. What i have seen here is even JD belts are at their minimum installable lengths.

And yes 1/4" can make difference as you go lower the OD sizes. I got machines here that even a 1/8" is too much on a 32" sized belt.

If the OP is worried about costs then buy a Stens 265-762 belt. Retails for about $20 US.