Z335E Starting Problems

pr0ject

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a new fuel filter on it and aired out the fuel lines with compressed air while I was cleaning the tank. I'm REALLY hoping not to have to tear down the carb again. I'll swap out the spark plug next and see if that makes any difference.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to install all new fuel hose from the tank to the carb. Lines deterorate from the inside same as outside. When they do that hose trash gets into the carb. Hope your filter will stop any debris from old lines.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll swap out the spark plug next and see if that makes any difference.
Spark plugs hardly ever or basically never go bad. They do foul up so a cleaning would be the first step I would do. Don't buy a new plug unless yours is not sparking.

pr0ject

Forum Newbie
Threads
The plug was pretty fouled and looked worn enough to need a replacement. Unfortunately, I'm still getting surges after replacing the plug. I'm also getting backfires when shutting the engine down without throttling back for a minute, so there still might be issues with the carb from what I can tell.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In a governed engine surging happens because the air fuel mix is too lean to maintain a constant speed
This happens because the carb can not atomise the right amount of fuel into the air stream or because air enters the system after the fuel has been added
If the engine starts off fine and runs for anything over 15 minutes then starts to surge then an air leak or restricted fuel supply to the carb are the top suspects
If it does it from cold then a bad carb pops up head & shoulders above other possibilities
There is no law that states it is a single cause.

I just made the 3rd warranty call out to a EZ225 to finally find that the hose from the tank has delaminated so would flow fine when cold then after 1/2 hour the inner liner would bunch up then start to choke off the fuel supply

pr0ject

Forum Newbie
Threads
I stripped down the carb and gave it another cleaning, reassembled and it's still surging from cold. I idle down and it dies completely and won't restart. I've run fluids through the fuel line to see if I have any shedding (there is none), so I'm at a loss. I have a new carb on order, but if that doesn't fix it, this thing will get scrapped for parts and sent to the dump. I'm about done with Deere equipment.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to re-read all the advice given here.

You are not following any of it.

Quick to bash brands and buy another mower that will give you the same fits.

All this over simple mower maintenance. If you can't handle the yearly fun then hire a lawn crew.