Z255 acts like it is fuel starved

jedortch

Forum Newbie
Threads
My JD Z255 (900 + hours) starts just fine. But after 15 minutes mowing the engine lugs down and dies. It will start right back up. Then run only a minute or so and lugs down again and dies. Have put on new fuel filter, new fuel pump and new plus and air filter. Took the fuel tank out and emptied it. Could not get the screwed in part with the fuel guage, vacuum and fuel pick up lines to turn loose. Remover the fuel guage part and flushed tank several times that way. Got a small amount of trash out. I have no clue where to go now. Thanks for any advice. Forgot to say I took the cauberator loose and sprayed heavy with cleaner. Also added Techron complete fuel system cleaner to fuel. Have always used non-ethonal fuel.
Checked all the hoses. Can't see any cracks or feel any soft spots.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
When it starts to bog down, loosen the fuel cap and see what happens..

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was gonna post same thing,............

jedortch

Forum Newbie
Threads
When it starts to bog down, loosen the fuel cap and see what happens..
I tried loosening the gas cap, but unfortunately that didn't help. Any suggestions on what to try now?
(I do appreciate your willness to help.)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bog down ?
When a goverened engine runs out of fuel it cycles a few times, so it slows down, then speeds up then slows down then speeds up etc then stops .
Is that whatyour mower does ?
or does it just start running slow then stop ?
Wht engine does it have in it ?

jedortch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think it is BriggsStration. Can't find any id on it. It has been starting and running just fine for maybe 15 minutes before it would just bogging down like maybe fuel started. I removed the fuel tank yesterday and tried to flushed it out to remove any trash. Today it only ran for two-three minutes before it quit. Now it is harder to start and will not keep running.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
According to tractordata, you should have a 22hp Briggs VTwin.
Model number should be stamped into one of the valve covers, top or side.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Funny you should say that
I have been having problems with a customers Z225 as well
Similar story
I replaaced the fuel pump as well. ran fine for a couple of days then died in the yard
Changed the fuel pump for a better one, same thing. put new fuel lines & impulse lines on it, ran for one cut then would not start
Moved the fuel filter to after the fuel pump and it worked for a cuple of days and agian stopped
AFAIK the owner turned the fuel filter around a couple of weeks ago & have not heard a word since then.
I had suspected the fuel pick up tube as these are prone to cracking when they got past 10 years old but whe the tank was removed it pressure tested quite fine.
My next sep was going to be replacing the paper element filter with the B &S red button screen filter
On some filters the outlet tube goes the full lenght of the paper element so you can get an air lock in the filter .
I have has that problem before which gets cured by fitting the filter backwards
This makes no difference to the filter except the crud ends up being inside the paper element where you can not see it