Z248F won't crank after stalling in pine needles

nextdoorsux

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was mowing someone's yard yesterday and unknowingly went over what turned out to be a deep pile of pine needles. I have a mulch kit, so it bogged down pretty quickly and I couldn't get out of the needles or shut down the deck fast enough to prevent the engine from stalling. After this happened, the thing wouldn't crank. Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet, but just wondered if anyone experienced anything like this. I have the 26HP Kohler motor.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure you shut off the PTO switch?

nextdoorsux

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to say I did, but I was freaking hot, it was getting late and I had enough for the day. I pushed it out of the needles and left it there. I'm going to go rescue it here in a bit and see if in my frustration I may have forgotten to turn off the PTO.

nextdoorsux

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well it was PTO related, but wasn't because I didn't shut it off. It was off so I tried it again and nothing. Turned on the PTO and tried to crank it and heard a clunk. Turn PTO off and it cranked and started without issue.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not mower related but back in the day, my buddy had a mint 1977 Pontiac Trans Am with T tops and a 4 speed stick. Beautiful car. Parked it on a bunch of dried oak leaves in the street. Fire Department was called. Car was totaled. Tears a many....... Just like Bandit One. Exhaust caught the leaves on fire.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well it was PTO related, but wasn't because I didn't shut it off. It was off so I tried it again and nothing. Turned on the PTO and tried to crank it and heard a clunk. Turn PTO off and it cranked and started without issue.
We have all done it so don't feel too bad

nextdoorsux

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yea, but what's curious is why it happened to begin with, or at least what stalling it with the PTO engaged had to do with anything. These PTO clutches pretty much all work the same and this one looks very much the same design that's on my old John Deere 212. It appears to have 'locked' somehow in the engaged position and cycling it freed it up. Why it would have done this given it's designed to disengage without power I do not know.