Z1000 not wanting to go forward/reverse

randyb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I, like a lot I've seen, am new to this site. I have a Ferris 1000 that's about 13 years old. Never missed a lick until this mowing season. Here lately, it has been seemingly getting hot and cutting off. Restart and it'll run for about 10 minutes, cut off and restart again. I thought I was having problems with low oil since I am getting a LOT on the engine deck. However, oil consumption doesn't seem to be any more than in the past. Now having problems with it not wanting to move. Oil maybe? Reservoir at/above the baffle. However, especially left drive motor is very weak. Now the right side also very week. Goes down hill pretty good (if it were all down hill...no problem). Will NOT pull itself uphill(just had to push it while trying to walk alongside, holding down the seat, and pressing the arms forward). What is the chance the hydro filter is clogged (434 hours on PTO, no telling on engine and drive motors)

Help!! Any ideas?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the drive belt... :smile:KennyV

gregjo1948

Threads
Is there any oder of something hot or smoke? Are there hydraulic release levers on this model? These levers allow you to move the machine( without the engine running) without the resistance of the hydraulic system. If the levers have been moved from the fully engaged position, this would cause weak power to no power to the drive wheels. Some machines had large knobs to rotate behind the seat-in front of the engine. Others have actual levers, about 3/8" X 4", located on the hydraulic pumps which you need to go under the machine to see. You might need to change the hydraulic filters and fluid. The filters get plugged and the fluid,over time, can start breaking down and loosing viscosity. Also check the linkage on the steering/direction handles for excessive slop in the joints and travel. Next, I would check the hydraulic pressure between the pumps and the drive motors. If that isn't up to spec., it might be time to rebuild or replace the pumps. gregjo1948