Yardman 38 inch deck

upnorth

Threads
I have a yardman manufactured in 1996, 38 inch deck number 136A694F401. Last two times I mowed, there was an awful racket coming from the right side of the mower deck. Normally when the mower runs with the blade down, it makes a pleasant whirring noise. I dropped the deck and took it out and looked at the blade spindles. The one on the right side wobbled around in the bearing support, the left side one is tight. I found out the diagram and ordered two spindles from an aftermarket supplier. Should be here in todays FEDEX delivery. I wrote MTD and asked how in heck do you remove the blade adapter. They wrote back and said the adapter cannot be removed. Then how in heck did they get it on the shaft? Certainly the shaft and adapter wasn't machined from one piece! Replacement spindles show a shaft without the drive pulley which is splined and the blade adapter shaft is also splined.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the spindle by the parts breakdown has the star blade adapter which is machined as part of the shaft. If you have the older spindle assy's with the three bolt mount then the adapter should pull off the shaft with some effort, but by your model number the blade adapter is part of the shaft.

upnorth

Threads
The spindles I received have the spindle assembly bolted to a 3/16" round piece of metal. This round piece has four round holes where it fastens to the deck. I checked the upper part of the spline shaft to the old spindles and the size and length matches exactly. Someone said the blade adapter was aluminum, but I checked with a magnet and it's steel or CI. I tried using a bearing puller with heat and the darn thing won't budge. Next I will try two 5/16 threaded rod and nuts, through the holes of the bracket up into a made up strong back with a hydraulic scissor jack in the middle. Maybe I can get enough of oomph to pop it off. The scissors jack will lift up one corner of my car! If this don't work then I'll be buying a new set of adapters.

upnorth

Threads
I received all the parts I need for the spindles. The mulching blades that were supplied when the mower was delivered had new blade adapters already bolted in place. They slipped right over the spline on the new spindles. So, I got a new set of adapters. Guess I'll save them for a rainy day! LOL! Now I just need some kind of rusty metal primer, I'm thinking maybe zinc chromate for the lower part of the deck. "Fear not dear wife! We'll be mowing grass before the end of the week!"