Yardman 1996 vintage

upnorth

Threads
only way I can tell which yardman this is, is, there's a nylon fan on top of the hydro-static transmission just above the drive pulley.
today I was mowing with no problem and forward and reverse motion stopped. moving the forward - reverse handle did nothing. I pushed the mower forward and noticed a spring had let go and was laying on the ground.
I brought up several yardman prints and found springs but can't figure out which one this is.
without measuring it - it looks about 1/2 inch diameter, roughly 5 inches length of the coiled part with two hooks 3/4 inch long from the coiled part on both ends.
this is an extension spring.

gfp55

Threads
only way I can tell which yardman this is, is, there's a nylon fan on top of the hydro-static transmission just above the drive pulley.
today I was mowing with no problem and forward and reverse motion stopped. moving the forward - reverse handle did nothing. I pushed the mower forward and noticed a spring had let go and was laying on the ground.
I brought up several yardman prints and found springs but can't figure out which one this is.
without measuring it - it looks about 1/2 inch diameter, roughly 5 inches length of the coiled part with two hooks 3/4 inch long from the coiled part on both ends.
this is an extension spring.
Maybe you could post your model # serial # off the tag from under the seat.

upnorth

Threads
there is nothing under the seat or anywhere else on the mower.
the engine is a briggs 13.5 hp.
38 inch mower deck

gfp55

Threads
there is nothing under the seat or anywhere else on the mower.
the engine is a briggs 13.5 hp.
38 inch mower deck
Maybe you could post some pictures of your mower then

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe I'd be looking for a motion idler bracket to hook one end to and the other end location won't be far away, maybe about the spring length.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
put up the transmission's numbers then!!

upnorth

Threads
I went poking through several prints on the yardman and found the fan above the drive pulley on the transmission.
This I cross referenced to: 146Y834P401 (1996)

upnorth

Threads
I'm not sure what the model number is now. I went looking for the battery box and there's none listed, least where my battery is.
Mine is under the seat in a sheet metal U shaped thingie. Another thing, my fuel tank does not mount under the seat. It is a large plastic tank located in the engine compartment just after the control panel "looking forward."
The hydro-static transmission has a fan bolted to the top of the pulley.
All the diagrams I looked at, the V shaped idler pulley mounts on top of a bracket, not underneath a bracket.
Its a bloody spring that I'm after. Five inches long relaxed, 1/2 inch diameter. Two hooks about 3/4 inch long "after" the coiled part of the spring.
In an MTD site, I've searched every print blow up from 1993 through 1999.
Another thing, My forward-reverse handle is on the right rear fender with a center detent.
You push it forward to increase forward speed, back to hit the detent, then backwards to get the reduced speed in reverse.
It uses a briggs & stratton engine, 13.5 hp stamped on it.
I'll get some pictures in a few minutes.

upnorth

Threads
Pictures of mower showing engine, fuel tank location, direction shifter - deck lever etc.DSCN0243.JPGDSCN0244.JPGDSCN0245.JPGDSCN0246.JPGDSCN0247.JPGDSCN0248.JPGDSCN0249.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0249.JPG
    DSCN0249.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 20
D

DJlawnboy

Looks like that mower was at The Battle of the Bulge.