YardMachines push mower with B&S ReadyStart engine - 6 months old won't start

emumbert

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / YardMachines push mower with B&S ReadyStart engine - 6 months old won't start
I've had this mower for 6 months now; used it 4-5 times to mow my small (maybe 300 sqft) patch of lawn out back. When I unboxed it in April, I thought maybe I had put too much oil in, but nonetheless it has started and run just fine up until now. I've stored it outdoors for the summer, right next to the house; it's rained once or twice but nothing major. It's a ReadyStart, so there is no primer or choke to play around with. I last mowed with it about 6 weeks ago. Gas is full and still fairly fresh.

Anyway, I go to start it up 2 days ago and nothing even after 50-60 pulls. Pulled the spark plug and there appeared to be a little oil on it, so cleaned it with soapy water and let it dry then put it back in...no change, still no start. Pulled it again and can't find any evidence of further oil.

Tried the Briggs & Stratton website, as well as the manual, and can't figure out what the problem might be. My dad thinks it's not getting fuel because he can't smell gasoline after pulling it several times. It never even sputters.

I'm very much an amateur when it comes to engines, so really hoping someone will be able to help so I don't have to lug it to a repair shop. Thank you in advance!

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / YardMachines push mower with B&S ReadyStart engine - 6 months old won't start
You are not supposed to wash with soap and water a spark plug... Just replace it...

First off, drain out the gas. Gas goes bad in about 30 days. Also, check if you have spark. You can simply remove the spark plug from it's hole leaving it on it's wire. Clip de plug on a piece of metal and ask an assistant to pull the cord. If you can see a good spark, you are good. Next thing to check is oil level! Make sure you han't overfilled it. Oil might be going into the combustion chamber since you think you might have put too much.

emumbert

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replaced the spark plug -- still same result and as far as I can tell there is no oil in the chamber. Also checked the oil level and, while it's at the very top of the fill line on the dipstick, it doesn't look to me to be so full that it would cause problems (especially given that I've already run it 5-6 times with no issues).

Do I need to re-gap the spark plug? I bought it from an auto parts store and it looks like the gap is a little wider than on the old plug I removed.

Next up I will confirm that I have a spark to the plug. I'll also drain a little oil (just to be safe) and also drain/replace the fuel.

Thank you.

-Erik

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Replaced the spark plug -- still same result and as far as I can tell there is no oil in the chamber. Also checked the oil level and, while it's at the very top of the fill line on the dipstick, it doesn't look to me to be so full that it would cause problems (especially given that I've already run it 5-6 times with no issues).

Do I need to re-gap the spark plug? I bought it from an auto parts store and it looks like the gap is a little wider than on the old plug I removed.

Next up I will confirm that I have a spark to the plug. I'll also drain a little oil (just to be safe) and also drain/replace the fuel.

Thank you.

-Erik

If the oil level is good, don't mess with it. Yes, regap the plug to factory specs.

Let me know how it goes after you drained the gas. Don't forget to drain the gas out of the carburetor bowl. You can simply unswcrew the bottom screw (gas will come out as soon as the screw is loose) to drain the old gas out from there too.

Jim S

Threads
Hi,

If the plug is wet with gas or oil, just heat the tip with a lighter and wipe it off, especially between the electrodes ( the small gap). My money is water in the gas tank from living outdoors, a big NONO!. Put a squirt of gas in the cylinder and replace the plug. If it pops off and runs, that's good. If it stops, probably it will, drain gas tank as suggested and use a 1/2 " wrench to loosen the bowl nut to drain the carb. Refill with fresh fuel and try again. Hopefully carb internals aren't corroded. That is a post for another day.
Once you get it running, don't leave it outside in the rain. Seems you don't use it much so put some fuel stabilizer in the gas, forget the fresh cap, or just run it out of gas. Anyway I'd start it up at least once a month for a few minutes.

I make good money on mowers that need repair or get tossed for just this reason.

Good luck,

Jim

emumbert

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you both for the suggestions. I put a splash of gas into the combustion chamber, inserted the *old* spark plug, and after 3 pulls it was running fine for about 2 seconds. So we know that there is a spark and that the spark plug is fine.

Then I drained the old gas, assuming water in the fuel was the issue. I also removed the fuel line and visually inspected the inside of it as well as the fuel filter at the bottom of the tank. All looked good and I confirmed gas was flowing through at least to the end of the line. I also drained the carb bowl.

Then I refilled with fresh gas and....nothing. 20+ pulls and still same result as previously (no luck). So I drained the gas again and unscrewed the carb plug...sure enough, gas flowed out of it. So we know that gas is getting TO the carb at least.

Then I quit, because I'm at the end of things to try (based on your suggestions).

Does this provide any help in guiding me towards next steps? Bad carburetor somehow?

Thank you again.

-Erik

Jim S

Threads
Hi Eric,

Starting is a good sign. Let's have some engine numbers so we can dig deeper. Look on flange over muffler. There will be 3 sets of numbers and letters. may be hard to read, but post what you get.

Jim

emumbert

Forum Newbie
Threads
You're right, they were hard to read. These were the only numbers I found, and they were in this order. Not exactly on the muffler flange but to the left of the muffler and underneath the top plastic cover/flange:

9P702 0145 F1
DOM 11 18 13

There's also a sticker with the engine serial number -- see photo attached.

Thanks Jim.

Erik

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 7

briggs

Threads
You're right, they were hard to read. These were the only numbers I found, and they were in this order. Not exactly on the muffler flange but to the left of the muffler and underneath the top plastic cover/flange:

9P702 0145 F1
DOM 11 18 13

There's also a sticker with the engine serial number -- see photo attached.

Thanks Jim.

Erik

it needs a carb clean

BLM69SS

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree that it needs the carb cleaned. If you can't do that then you need to take it to a small engine shop or an old time hardware store that services small engines. Once you get it clean then do the following. Get some fresh gasoline and put some Stable in the gas can as soon as you fill the can. Then don't leave the mower outside or at ver y least cover it with a heavy tarp. Finally at the end of the season run it completely dry of gasoline starting it several times after it stalls to make sure all the gas is run out of it. With the Ethanol in gas it doesn't store well.