Yard machine keeps dying.

Jdtbolding

Threads
Hi I'm at my wits end. I have a yard machine ridding mower with a briggs and stratton model 42a707 14.5 hp. It was left here when I bought my house and ran pretty good for the first year I had it. A month ago I started it an let it run on full throttle. After a few minutes I backed the throttle down to about 50% and it started sputtering, I pushed up the throttle back to 100% and it changed nothing and died. So I decided to change the oil, air filter, fuel filter and plugs. Started it up fine. Started mowing and after about 20 minutes it started sputtering and died and would not start til cool. Researched a little and decided to clean the carburetor and went ahead and changed all the fuel lines. Ran for 15-20 sputtered and died. I'm now at a dead end. Could it be the coil or something else? Any Fred back will be greatly appreciated! Thank u for your time.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be the coil or carb. Have you checked to see if you have spark. If you do, I would give the carb another real good bath.

Jdtbolding

Threads
Thank you for your reply. I cleaned the carb twice, the second time I soaked it over night and sprayed it out with a air hose. How exactly do I check the coil?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the spark plug, attach the plug wire, hold it against the block, (insulated pliers or you may get a good jolt) have someone try to start the engine, watch for a spark. Let us know what you see. Try a couple of plugs.

Jdtbolding

Threads
Thanks ill try that this evening. I forgot to mention that my battery will not stay charged so I'm guessing I need a new stator. Would that make the engine shut off in the middle of mowing? When it cuts off it'll turn over easily until the battery drains so I was guessing it wouldn't have anything to do with it but wanted to mention it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I get a chance later, I'll post a manual which will show you how to test the charging system.

Jdtbolding

Threads
Ok so I just came home and started the mower. It fired right up after sitting over night let it sit for a minute or two and went about five feet and it died. No sputtering or anything just cut right off and wouldn't start. Pulled the plugs and I'm getting a spark. How strong should the spark be? It has a very light yellow spark. Could it be a safety switch?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Check the pulse line between the fuel pump and the engine block for cracks. Could be a fuel pump problem that quits after it gets some engine heat on it.

Jdtbolding

Threads
Check the pulse line between the fuel pump and the engine block for cracks. Could be a fuel pump problem that quits after it gets some engine heat on it.

I have changed the fuel lines from the tank to the filter, filter to the carb, and carb to the block.