Would you buy the same mower again?

Threads
A couple years ago I bought a 24-48 Husqvarna used it a few times, but had trouble getting off and on. Probably just me at 78 years old and have arthritis real bad. Anyway, I sold it with only 14 hours on the hour meter. Just went back to using my old Troy Built. If I had it to do over, I would buy me a John Deere.

rpus

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have and still use my first Toro 16785 side discharge mower. I am fond of these old side discharge units and currently own 3.

Eliot Ness

Threads
When we bought our house 3 years ago I bought the owners 54" Hustler Raptor SD and have been very pleased with it. I've got a little over 3 acres to mow and at a tad over 400 hours the Hustler is still doing great. Aside from oil and filter changes, all I've had to contend with was a belt change (my novice mistake) and a resharpening of the blades. If I had to buy another mower tomorrow it would be another Hustler.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I love my old Ventrac 3000,if that thing could lift a little more would be great!

So I may buy a different "utility carrier" next time. Maybe an Avant 4 or 5 series (Finland made) but is very expensive :(

View attachment 52153

Have you looked into powertrac? They're American made and reasonably priced.

Smithsonite

Threads
I just tore down the Kawasaki engine on a John Deere LX280 - Kawasaki FH580V. Owner snapped a bolt off in the end of the crank, and I lost half an EZ-Out trying to extract it ... even heated with acetylene! Anyway, unit has 380 hours on it. Threw a used crank in it, and during the process of putting everything back together (with new gaskets and seals), I noticed one valve seal moving up and down with the valve when I had the heads off. Hmmm. Closer look revealed the exhaust valve guide on one cylinder was about to fall right out of the head! Was able to tap it back in and stake it with a punch.

Just FYI to J/D owners! If you're burning oil, this is probably why!

https://postimg.cc/njn9NYmC

https://postimg.cc/BtBfq5KJ

Padroo

Threads
I have owned several zero turn mowers. Starting with a Grasshopper 48", then an Exmark Lazer z 52" then an Exmark Frontrunner 52".
Last year I bought a Toro Titan 2000 60" with "easy ride". The easy ride platform sold me plus I wanted to get rid of the tail wheel. Man I wish I had that Frontrunner back. This mower is the roughest riding unit I have ever used. If you hit a dip or hollow with one wheel it lurches & jumps like a bronco. The easy ride is a joke. I've tried every setting with no relief. No anti-scalp wheels on the rear of the deck causes it to scalp in uneven terrain. I hate this mower & cuss every time I use it. On flat even ground it cuts very nice. Mechanically it's very sound.

This is the My Ride system at work.
This is the Ferris.

bodean

Threads
Here's one that everybody can chime in on. Would you buy the same mower again, or would you go with a different model? Do you have any regrets about your purchase?

I'll start. My first mower was a John Deere 365 with 48" deck. Loved that machine for 430 hours until we sold it. But I will say that the only thing different I would do is go up to a machine that had the power to handle a 60" deck instead of the 48" deck.

How about you?
We love our Ferris Z-turn mowers. I started out with the IS 500, and liked it so much that when it came time to replace the in-laws worn out Craftsman rider, I bought them a Ferris IS 700. The 700 was a big improvement over the 500. Since both the IS 500 and 700 models have been discontinued, my next one will be the newer IS 800 model, which has a better seat, smoother suspension, and Even larger wheels than the IS700 to smooth out the bumpy areas. All of these come with either 52” or 60” decks. I prefer the 52” deck due to the fact that it fits in between the many ornaments, trees, and bushes that adorn our immediate 1.5 acre lot.

tadawson

Threads
Honda HR215SA bought in 1989. Other than needing to rering the GXV140 last year after 30 years of use, it's been flawless, and I would buy it again in a heaetbeat. Unfortunately, Honda has cheapened/downgraded everything such that that is not an option, but I have been thinking hard about buying another one used for another property.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Twelve year old John Deere L130 riding mower. Family had several JD mowers over the years, really well built and good service. This one was a great mower when new, Kohler twin purrs, mows excellent, easy service. Then at just under 300 hours the hydro starting wasting away. I then learned about the Tuff Torq throwaway transaxle. Powered metal differential gears, gears and hydraulics running in the same oil that gets full of steel particles from those gears. Took it apart, cleaned out the shrapnel and filled with thicker oil. Got another 200 hours out of it. Replaced with a Peerless unit with separate units, and going good at near 700 hours now. Never, ever buy any mower with the Tuff Torq non-serviceable hydrostatic transmission. And just about all lower priced (and higher priced sometimes) have that unit under the back end.

DCWGC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's one that everybody can chime in on. Would you buy the same mower again, or would you go with a different model? Do you have any regrets about your purchase?

I'll start. My first mower was a John Deere 365 with 48" deck. Loved that machine for 430 hours until we sold it. But I will say that the only thing different I would do is go up to a machine that had the power to handle a 60" deck instead of the 48" deck.

How about you?
I had my 1st Simplicity (Allis Brand) in the 80s. Moved to smaller property then back to larger. I bought another Used Simplicity. 96 model CH20. 20hp Kohler. 60 in deck. Bought because I loved the 1st so much. Hr meter broken but it gets several hours use weekly in the NC summers. I've rigged a 2" ball to it and use to move boats, trailers, and stuff around the yard. No oil use. Just replaced starter and fuel pump. Other wise only major work was welding repairs on mower deck. Would I buy another one. You bet!!