Would appreciate a few suggestions - Looking at Kubota ZD300 series

KJINTF

Threads
  • / Would appreciate a few suggestions - Looking at Kubota ZD300 series
Hi all

I am new to this forum and am looking to pickup some advice before spending some cash on a new mower. I have 3 acres of flat turf grass aka lawn, which I have been using a Honda H4518HSA w/38" deck. The Honda is just too small for the job 3 plus hours to get the job completed

I need something bigger and new. I currently have budgeted between $10K to $15K and would prefer a diesel over a gasoline engine

I have a Kubota B series tractor picked up new in 1991 and have been very happy with it

My current thinking is to order a new Kubota ZD323, ZD326 or ZD331 w/60" deck looked at the 72" but it might be a bit big

Any suggestions as to which one of the above and why
How about any other good quality "commercial" offerings that I should consider

Thanks for the help

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to the Forum....
What size Kubota B do you have?
Will it handle a fair size rear finish mower?

You should be able to find some outstanding commercial grade mowers in your price range,,, and a few really great used industrial makes...
You are WAY out in the lesser populated areas so you may not have a lot to pick and choose from...
I am with you on diesel powered, less maintenance and more thrifty to operate... :smile:KennyV

KJINTF

Threads
Thanks for the suggestions
My Kubota is a B7200 w/ ag tires that would tear up the lawn - It's used mostly for driveway / road maintenance and timber hauling. I am a bit picky about my lawn with it's 120 or so pop up sprinklers, no machines except proper 2 wheel drive mowers w/ proper tires ever go on the lawn. Guess you could say I am a little OCD when it comes to the lawn.

Diesel will be the choice all I need to determine now is which Kubota mower to order
Any comments on the Kubota F series Vs the ZD300 series?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you considered all the jobs you want to do and if one machine would handle them all ?

Do you prefer to have a dedicated mower for your perfect lawn?

Check out the smaller Ventrac machines that have an out front mower and will handle many attachments.

Just thinking you may not have looked at all options that might add versatility ?

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
And while we're discussing other options, what about a Power-Trac?

BTW, welcome to LMF! :thumbsup:

KJINTF

Threads
Thanks guys - the suggestions are greatly appreciated

I believe I am looking for a dedicated mower, however can be swayed either way
I already have a few utility tractors so no pressing need for another.
I have decided the fuel system will be a four stroke diesel as compared to gasoline, no more gasoline engines 2 or 4 stroke for me.

Been looking at the Kubota F series and the Kubota ZD300 series only because I have had several years of experience with them. I like them for many reasons including the fact they make all the internal components / parts including the engine and transmissions. Many other vendors do not make the major components. I tend to stay away from the Sears / HomeDepot kind of kludged together stuff. Another and maybe the biggest deciding factor is the cutting deck drive, my old Honda has a very expensive extremelly poorly designed belt driven system. The new machine will be shaft driven with a simple singular belt for the cutting blades. I looked at a few manufacturers that have as many as "7" yes seven belts in the drive system, what a joke!

Ventrac

Threads
Great place to ask the question! BK has a good suggestion :smile:
Check out the Ventrac 3000 series (Ventrac - 3000 Series Compact Tractors)
Gasoline or diesel engine options, built for commercial use.
60" deck and you have up to 15 other attachment options for down the road.

I love my 3223D!! Mow about 1.5 acres in about 45 minutes (with 52" deck), that includes doing a large area that is 25 degrees by the highway. Also plow out my driveway and my neighbors with a 60" blade.

Check out our website and see if you have a dealer close that can get you a demo. That is the best way to know if ANY equipment is for you, getting on the seat! Good luck in your search :thumbsup:

Ventrac

Threads
Another and maybe the biggest deciding factor is the cutting deck drive, my old Honda has a very expensive extremelly poorly designed belt driven system. The new machine will be shaft driven with a simple singular belt for the cutting blades. I looked at a few manufacturers that have as many as "7" yes seven belts in the drive system, what a joke!

We use a belt driven system and I would not discount all belt systems. I have seen some pretty terrible designs and I can't speak about your Honda, but if the system is implemented properly and tension is correct, the RIGHT belt and system can last a LONG time. Especially, in your case, using the machine strictly for mowing purposes, you would not be putting much stress at all on it. I will say that the cost to replace a belt every couple hundred hours is MUCH cheaper than replacing a shaft system! Our system is very easy to do maintenance on if required and our track record with the belt driven system speaks for itself. Other benefit of a belt system is they are a lot more forgiving. Mowing scenario is a bit different, but if you run over a metal rod sticking out of the ground with a shaft driven deck, that can be bad news. Belt driven, belt will slip, could break, but now all you replace is a blade and belt. To each his own, some love belts and some hate them. Same with shaft systems, it's all a matter of what good or bad experiences have been had with either system. Again, gl! :thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your experience with Kubota diesel will not disappoint you....
Shaft drive is going to give you thousands if not tens of thousands trouble free power drive...
Shock load... your deck blades are still coupled with a belt, so no problem as to gear box damage... :smile:KennyV

Ventrac

Threads
Your experience with Kubota diesel will not disappoint you....
Shaft drive is going to give you thousands if not tens of thousands trouble free power drive...
Shock load... your deck blades are still coupled with a belt, so no problem as to gear box damage... :smile:KennyV

Woops, missed what type of shaft design, good point kenny!:thumbsup: