Would an 18HP engine run a 54 inch deck mower?

cmw

Threads
I have a Husqvarna 54 inch cut mower that needs a new engine. The old one was a Kohler Courage SV730 25hp which I understand was not really a 25hp from what I read. It was more like a 22-23hp but seemed to do the job OK for me when it was working. The engine experienced a variety of failures last year and appears to have eaten a ring of similar as it is now locked up.

The rest of the mower is in good shape. I had just gotten through replacing some deck spindles and housings and it had new belts for both the deck and mower drive. One had only an hour of use on it when the engine quit. So, I have a perfectly good mower sitting with no engine. I got ahold of a junk mower with a good 18HP Kohler Magnum twin cylinder. I had never seen one of these before but it is an older model that looks like a pancake style engine.

I was originally planning to transplant the 18HP to this 54 inch cut mower to replace the engine but was always apprehensive, figuring this might be too much for an 18hp to handle. I dragged my feet until another variable entered the mix.

I was then given a 16.5hp Briggs I/C powered 42 inch Craftsman mower that had been put out to rot. It had been sitting 3 years but I had it going with minimal cost and time invested. It seemed to be running well so I changed the oil which had been neglected. I have no idea on the history of this unit besides it sat outside for 3 years with no protection but it was likely not cared for before that time either. I was mowing with it after the oil change and all seemed well with no knocks or anything until the engine threw a rod and went out it a blaze of smoke and fire. I put out the fire and towed the mower up near the house to be worked on.

Anyway, I am wondering if this 18HP would be better suited to the 42 inch cut mower vs the 54 inch. As much as I would love to make the 54 inch work, there will be some adaptations required when it comes to fuel supply and the like while the 42 inch would be pretty much a direct bolt on. I have checked the shaft sizes/lengths and all are the same.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

rarebear

Threads
I will work but don't try cutting wet over grown lawns at fast speeds and expect the motor to last 20 years..

cmw

Threads
I figured there would be limitations of course such as not being able to mow a hay field and having to slow down a little but the 54 inch cut is sure nice on open areas, most of which are kept pretty well mowed.

NorthBama

Threads
the magnum is a much better built engine than the courage should work well for you.

cmw

Threads
I was never all that impressed with the Courage and read about lots of issues with it. I had nothing but problem after problem for a while and wasn't too upset when it quit all together.

Anyway, the replacement is a Kohler Magnum 18HP vertical shaft. I looked at it a little more and can tell some parts are missing. I will need the breather hose from the engine to the carb. There is also a square item missing from the side opposite the crankcase breather. Anyone have a parts diagram for this engine? I cannot seem to find the engine model stamped into the steel housing or anywhere else. Where is it or is it maybe missing? The engine I have looks just like this one except is black instead of red in color but that is probably related to the brand of mower it is installed on.

I would have to convert the 54 inch to a gravity feed system. I thought about an electric fuel pump and pressure regulator but think it would be better off with gravity feed to keep it simple.

Also, this engine is HEAVY! It is solid cast iron and I picked it up today and would say it is at least 100lbs. If I put it on the 54 inch or the 42 inch, this is still heavier. Will this stress the front end of the mower?

The 16.5hp Briggs I/C that I thought blew up yesterday dropped an intake valve in the cylinder which was then pushed up through the head by the piston, destroying the head. The rod is still intact and the piston is going up and down without issues so it might be worth putting a whole new head on this one rather than replacing the engine. I would first remove the head and make sure there wasn't any carnage in the cylinder bore or piston. Any opinions on that one?

Conor

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of the newer Kohlers, the Magnum included had the model, spec, and serial number on a tag on the blower housing. The tag had a tendency to fade making it unreadable. You can go to www.kohlerplus.com login as a guest and then put in MV18 under model number at the top right of the page. You can then narrow down the spec number by what the engine came off of.

mowerman05

Threads
My old mower was a 19 hp law on a 52 inch deck with bagger,. worked good just needed common sense to not over work the engine

cmw

Threads
Most of the newer Kohlers, the Magnum included had the model, spec, and serial number on a tag on the blower housing. The tag had a tendency to fade making it unreadable. You can go to www.kohlerplus.com login as a guest and then put in MV18 under model number at the top right of the page. You can then narrow down the spec number by what the engine came off of.

I found where the tag should go and it is long gone. Not faded, just gone. It isn't stamped into the metal like many I have seen. The part I am seeing as gone appears to be some type of valve cover. It isn't a valve cover in the traditional sense but a way to get to the keepers and such. I figured American Yard Products would be the best match for Craftsman so I picked one of those. It didn't show on the diagram. The part is on the cylinder opposite the breather and in the same location. It is a square.

Also, I did find that this engine weighs 130lbs. Will this stress the front end of the mower?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am assuming it would be a cover for the spring access area opposite the side with the breather on it. It would be part number 52 096 55-s valve cover. They are showing it as discontinued but I don't thing it would be hard to make one if needed.