Wood heater

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Been heating my house with a fireplace wood burning insert for the last 15 years. I bought the unit used so really don't know how old it is. So I have had three contractors look at my unit and all three told me it was junk and I needed to replace it. I have to decide now with a new heater, Catalytic or non-Catalytic. Has anybody come across this Catalytic thing or know anything about it?? I find it all depends on the salesman as to what I should get because one will say yes and the next one will say no. Its very confusing for someone like me not knowing the different. I have a feeling the salesman just wants to sell me what they want to get ret of and could care less about what would work best for me.

Snapperfreak

Threads
I don't think this will be if much help but, from what I understand, the catalytic thing (not sure exact name) is something in the newer inserts that further burns the soot and particulate matter so less smoke comes out of the chimney, thus a cleaner burn. But as to why the contractors told u yours is junk, I have to wonder what makes them think that. And I completely agree with u that salesmen (in general, not all of them) don't always have your best interest as their priority. I don't have an insert just an open fireplace. I burn wood all winter long, about 2-3 cords worth. Maybe someday I'll get an insert when I don't want to have to find/buy/cut/store so much wood. As for now, I enjoy splitting wood almost as much as mowing the lawn so I'm not in a hurry. Back to your current insert...is there structural damage to it or something that led the contractors to believe it's junk?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think this will be if much help but, from what I understand, the catalytic thing (not sure exact name) is something in the newer inserts that further burns the soot and particulate matter so less smoke comes out of the chimney, thus a cleaner burn. But as to why the contractors told u yours is junk, I have to wonder what makes them think that. And I completely agree with u that salesmen (in general, not all of them) don't always have your best interest as their priority. I don't have an insert just an open fireplace. I burn wood all winter long, about 2-3 cords worth. Maybe someday I'll get an insert when I don't want to have to find/buy/cut/store so much wood. As for now, I enjoy splitting wood almost as much as mowing the lawn so I'm not in a hurry. Back to your current insert...is there structural damage to it or something that led the contractors to believe it's junk?

The very first thing is the reason I am having contractors look at it is I am getting smoke into the house this pass winter. So I know something is not right. All I want is have it fixed and fixed right. They were showing me some baffles that were burned out also a crack in the front by the door. They have all told me that after many years of use that the steel gets brittle. The contractors don't sell the stoves but they do work for the dealers. The same as getting your mower fixed you sometimes have to have faith in the repair person is honest?? Then when three of them give me the same answer I have come to the fact its true. On top of it all my chimney is starting to get cracks into it that will also need repairs. I guess all I will need is another 25 years out of it, because then I well be 100 years old and who cares after that.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Ok got it, ya smoke in the house not good. perhaps it could be repaired back to how it was when u first installed it without doing all the upgrades such as the catalytic. Sorry I couldn't be it more help, I'm not sure if cracks in the insert can be repaired or if it really does need replacing, and I can't say if the catalytic thing is a requirement now or not when replacing it. That may depend on location. When I've looked into having an insert installed the best I got was $3200, and that wasn't a fancy model but it was the efficient ones with the catalytic. I stopped looking into them after that though. I hope this isn't a dumb question but is removing the insert completely an option, and just repair the cracks in the chimney?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok got it, ya smoke in the house not good. perhaps it could be repaired back to how it was when u first installed it without doing all the upgrades such as the catalytic. Sorry I couldn't be it more help, I'm not sure if cracks in the insert can be repaired or if it really does need replacing, and I can't say if the catalytic thing is a requirement now or not when replacing it. That may depend on location. When I've looked into having an insert installed the best I got was $3200, and that wasn't a fancy model but it was the efficient ones with the catalytic. I stopped looking into them after that though. I hope this isn't a dumb question but is removing the insert completely an option, and just repair the cracks in the chimney?

Yes that sounds about right 3200, most inserts run 3 to4 thousand. As for myself I will need everything just like I am starting from new plus having my chimney fixed. Just the price of living in the north country but with wood heat my house will be warm and comfortable. How a modern wood stove works it burns the wood, then as wood burns the smoke has a lot of impurity's in it in which it will have a afterburner in it to burn these, so you burn the wood and the smoke. They do it two different ways one is what they call a tube burner and the other is with a catalytic after burn. They both work, but I was wondering which system works the best? and the advantages and disadvantages of both systems. It just seems the more I look at the two different systems the more confusing it becomes.

Bob E

Threads
Those secondary air (tube burner) stoves are cheaper and simpler, but don't give you the ability to cut off the secondary air flow because that would cause the fire to smolder producing lots of smoke. So, you can end up with a run away over fire situation if you're not careful. I've seen a lot of guys modify them with a damper on the secondary air inlet. The catalytic stoves are more expensive. You have to wait for the catalytic element to heat up to operating temperature then you flip a damper that directs the smoke through the element. You can close the air flow down on these making an over fire less likely. The catalytic elements need to be cleaned and replaced frequently, more often if you don't operate them properly or burn crap wood. I've heard some guys don't even bother using the catalytic element. Both stove types need very dry wood to work properly. They recommend you have several years worth of wood split, stacked, and drying in advance.
I kind of prefer the old pre epa airtight stoves. Not as environmentally friendly, but more operator friendly. Most of um are pretty worn out by now though.

Gcorron

Threads
30 years ago I bought a Consolidated Dutchwest stove. Can be an insert, but this one was free standing. I believe they are Vermont Castings now.

Two things stood out about this stove at the time, it was cast iron, not steel, and it was catalytic.

It will easily heat my entire house, probably luck of the draw because of where I had to put it. This thing, once you flip the catalytic on, turns the wood red, and then to ash. If you prefer watching the flame more than heat output, catalytic is not the way to go, but I certainly do love that stove!

You have to regasket the doors every couple years, available at most hardware stores. I have replaced the catalytic once in that time, about 2 years ago.

You do NOT use the catalytic when you burn coal, too many particulates, and it will clog it up. I burned coal for about 2 years, loved it but my source dried up (hint: it was free!), and it left streaks on my roof, very ugly.

Just my two cents, and everyone has an opinion, but if I needed to replace that stove, it would be cast iron, and catalytic.

George

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I bought the new wood burning fireplace insert today. It is a Blaze King, steel, and catalytic. Should be installed in a couple of weeks, just in time for the hot summer weather.