Wood floor for trailer

Skydragon750

Threads
Putting a wood floor on a 5 x 8 trailer. What size wood should I use for the floor, cause was thinking about 2x10s. I used ply wood on my 4 x 6 trailer but now I have a 42" ZTR and it's heavier than my old 42 tractor. Asking some help so I don't make a mistake.

de dee

Threads
Putting a wood floor on a 5 x 8 trailer. What size wood should I use for the floor, cause was thinking about 2x10s. I used ply wood on my 4 x 6 trailer but now I have a 42" ZTR and it's heavier than my old 42 tractor. Asking some help so I don't make a mistake.

I used 2X12 X 10 on my trailer ,it is 5 X 10, sure better then walking on steel, with snow on it, and it spreads the Wt. of the mower , over a large area of the trailer,. use what ever fits, 2 x10 or 2 X 12

Lawn Addict
Threads
On an open trailer, I agree: 2 x10 or 2 x 12's.. I would also use nails (temporarily as spacers) between each next board, then remove when board is secure & repeat.. to keep even & tiny gaps for the rains to go right thru..

& If you wanna make it last a good long time use PT wood..

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

JMO but I wouldn't put 2x10 or 2x12 in a 5x8 trailer. You need to check the GVWR and load capacity on your trailer before you go sticking all that weight in a wood floor in it. Your Talking about a trailer that could have a 2000 lb GVWR. My 6x12 ft. open trailer has a 3600 lb GVWR and only uses 2x8 for floor and I carry two ZTR's and a push mower.

RoperGuy

Threads
Could look into hemlock, fairly cheep up hear and is also more rot resistant , we did the floor in a double wide snowmobile trailer and has worked great

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could look into hemlock, fairly cheep up hear and is also more rot resistant , we did the floor in a double wide snowmobile trailer and has worked great

I'd personally go with a wood pressure treated decking, five quarter would work for a 5X8 trailer. Thicker and stronger than Plywood and wouldn't cut down on the load capacity of the trailer to much.

de dee

Threads
JMO but I wouldn't put 2x10 or 2x12 in a 5x8 trailer. You need to check the GVWR and load capacity on your trailer before you go sticking all that weight in a wood floor in it. Your Talking about a trailer that could have a 2000 lb GVWR. My 6x12 ft. open trailer has a 3600 lb GVWR and only uses 2x8 for floor and I carry two ZTR's and a push mower.

2x4 2x6 2x8 2x10 2x12 if you cover the floor, its all the same Wt., just make sure you pick seasoned wood (dry )

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
2x4 2x6 2x8 2x10 2x12 if you cover the floor, its all the same Wt., just make sure you pick seasoned wood (dry )

I disagree, it's not going to be the same weight because of the dimensions or actual size of the lumber.

gfp55

Threads
What kind of floor is on is now? wood boards, plywood? Ric is right about the weight, you don't what to overload it. When I redid one of my trailers I put the same size wood planks on that it was built with, but just used weather treated wood instead, the treated wood was just a little heavier then stock and I used stainless steel hardware. Like said before, spacing helps with water and dirt. I added flush tiedowns for safety also.

RoperGuy

Threads
Really a difference of 50-100lbs won't be very noticeable, use what you have and fits your budget, 2" is abit over kill but makes it pretty easy to swap out a plank If it breaks