Won’t turn over

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks bert

anyone got a good link for the reputable starter rebuild kits?
before you go buying parts diagnose the problem.
It might need a new stater pinion , a new bendex gear , both quire cheap
Or the top bush might be gone easy repair but getting the oilite bushing is difficult and usually the shaft will require a light machine & shim so not economic to do
Then there is the other end brushes , springs & another oilite bush

jerrycmorrow

Threads
New starter is Briggs part #693551, should be able to find one for less than $100. I’ve rebuilt many starters and I recommend that you just purchase a new one. Parts alone will cost at least half that. That’s if the model Star posted is your engine.
That’s the part number I had. Thanks

jerrycmorrow

Threads
So , the existing starter sucks and is unreliable. I even shimmed the stater.
After looking around for a rebuild kit, and wasting a LOT of time, I’m looking for a new starter that is reliable. There are dozens of sellers on eBay and on google but I don’t know whether they are any good. I prefer one built by a standup manufacturer
I know many of you are reluctant to name a reputable brand but right now I’m drowning in info overload.
ANY leads are appreciated
Thanks
Jerry

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sucks & is unreliable
Don't have a sucks repair kit .
As for Ammzon & Evilpay about 1/2 of the people selling there are the same crooks just using different names
And all of them will be selling the same junk starter from China .
Buy one from a real mower shop, Auto electrician or stand alone on line parts retailer.
A good quality starter will have a BRAND NAME Stamped into the body
Lesser ones will just have sticker on them
Junk ones will be listed as unbranded
As dad used to say
HE WHO BUYS CHEAP PAYS THRICE
How many factories do you think make B & S starter motors 1, 2, 3 ,1000 ?
You would be lucky if more than 4 make the starter so the 5000 different ones on EvilPay & Ammozone will all come from the factory that makes the cheapest ones or be defective ones that some one bought as cheap scrap metal or will be defective ones that get sold as defective to factories who repair them to various levels of quality .

As I said, I replace about a dozen of them every year so the cheap $ 50 starter gets replaced with a good $ 150 starter + a $ 40 solenoid and often a pair of battery leads that were the actual problem in the first place.
Then there is another dozen or so starter pinions , 1 or 2 bendex gears , and 1 or 2 sets of brushes for the customers who have the common sense enough to ask me to fix their mower that does not crank properly.

jerrycmorrow

Threads
Have you checked voltage at the starter with the key in the start position?
Finally got a chance to check it today.
12.5 at rest. 7.6 when trying to start. Does that mean battery getting bad?
Of course y’all are thinking “what a nimrod” for not checking before. Of course, y’all would be correct in that judgement
Thanks for all the input
jerry

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not a nimrod, just something most never test for. Yes, I would be replacing the battery. Probably have a cell going bad.

jerrycmorrow

Threads
Have you checked voltage at the starter with the key in the start position?
Not a nimrod, just something most never test for. Yes, I would be replacing the battery. Probably have a cell going bad.
Do you happen to know what CCA to look for? The existing battery lists
do you know what CCA to replace with? Existing is 235 but not knowing the history of this mower (at least two previous owners) I’m hesitant to take that as gospel. It’s an 18hp

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I recommend a battery with a minimum of 250 CCA for a single cylinder engine and minimum of 325 CCA for a two cylinder engine. Just my opinion, many will disagree.