Won’t start

mike coulter

Threads
I have a brand new Briggs and Stratton 7.25 eco engine on a push mower that has fire but the flywheel cup is broke off in two places.its made of plastic. Plug has a great spark Will this keep it from straying?
Only had one tab left.IMG_2159.jpeg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Question is have you also checked the flywheel key to make sure it isn't sheared causing a timing issue, and leading to the broken starter cup which most likely is happening due to kickback from advanced timing from possibly a sheared flywheel key that advanced the timing due to hitting something

mike coulter

Threads
Question is have you also checked the flywheel key to make sure it isn't sheared causing a timing issue, and leading to the broken starter cup which most likely is happening due to kickback from advanced timing from possibly a sheared flywheel key that advanced the timing due to hitting something
Yes sir I did look at it from the top
Since you mentioned it I’ll pull the flywheel because it’s a possibility that it might be messed up on the bottom of it. It looks good from the top

mike coulter

Threads
I just pulled the flywheel and it’s solid but it rocks back and forth as it’s got slack in it.

mike coulter

Threads
Flywheel properly torqued should stop slack between flywheel and crankshaft
Well good news this morning
Got the parts in this morning that were broken. I cut a new shear key. Got it back together and it busted off and ran on the second pull
Thanks again for all of your help
Greatly appreciated!! 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cut a new flywheel key? Hope you don’t use steel key stock!!!! Briggs use an aluminum key and cost about $1.00. Using a steel key will cause serious problems down the road, especially if you did not torque the flywheel nut properly.

TobyU

Threads
So what we know so far doesn't make sense. You don't even have to take the flight will off to check the key just take the nut and the washer off and you can look right there to see if it's twisted or not or if the two rectangular slots are lined.
The top plastic fingers are only there for The recoil assembly to catch so that has nothing to do with it running.
If the key was right the first time which I thought I read it was then it would have made no difference with you taking off the flywheel and making a new key for it and putting it back together etc so my thought is it wasn't right to begin with.
Regardless, glad you got it running..