Wishing for Rear Wheel Drive...

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never even considered a 4x2 when I got my truck. I do know some guys who prefer the 4x2 for some reason. They do use chains though. If I don't have 4x4 and it's snowing, I'm not going out.

A tall 4X2 truck with weight in the back and good winter tires is a great snow vehicle, even better if it has positraction. One of the people I helped get unstuck during that big storm on Wednesday was a cop neighbor, he has a short box, 2wd Ram 1500 with a Hemi, superwide summer tires, and no weight in the back but a cap, and no positraction. He turned into his driveway after getting home from work and stopped dead, had to pull him out with my tractor, once he was on the road again, ON LEVEL PAVEMENT, his tires had so little traction and so much rolling resistance (superwide tread) he could barely move at 2 mph. I drive my GMC in two wheel drive in the winter 98% of the time, and save the 4wd for when I actually need it. It's tall, has sticky tires and a locker in back...

LandN

Threads
if you can keep momentum going you can get by with a 4x2 staying in the tracks ahead of you. but if your breaking a trail or you have to stop and start then its easier to have 4x4 i've had both.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
if you can keep momentum going you can get by with a 4x2 staying in the tracks ahead of you. but if your breaking a trail or you have to stop and start then its easier to have 4x4 i've had both.

Well said, momentum is the key to all bad traction driving. THe trouble with 4 wd, and I say this as a former commercial straight truck driver, is that too many people on the road think because they have superior traction GOING, their vehicles are magically immune to the laws of friction, gravity, and inertia. I advise people, if you have four wheel drive, you will stay out of a lot of problems if you tell yourself you are in a TWO WHEEL DRIVE vehicle and operate it accordingly...I drove 30 ton loaded trucks all over Michigan during my career including in the UP in the middle of winter, and never got off road nor had a ticket nor an at-fault accident. Common sense is the only way to wheel any vehicle, a commodity not frequently seen in some drivers. Earlier this winter I was plowing my northside driveway and about a quarter mile away the wind was gusting powder snow across the road, a Mustang ragtop came sailing along toward me and when he hit the powder he did two complete 360 spins while still moving forward, he got it straightened out just in time and as he went by me he was creeping along like a little old lady with a death grip on the wheel, I was laughing so hard tears were freezing in my eyes.....:laughing:

lisamac

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you want to do donuts in a front wheel drive put it in reverse and after you get going turn the wheel and hit the gas. I personally prefer my Chevy S-10 with a 5 speed on snow covered or icy roads.