Wisconsin lawn is a mess

joscibo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have made a few attempts at straightening out my yard and have been chasing my tail. I have mature Maple trees that give a large portion of shade to the yard but also tend to kill the grass around the base of the trees. I have a fairly sandy soil and a large portion of weeds that I recently killed with a dose of Triplet used by golf courses for dandelions, crab grass, creeping charley etc.. which I have all of. I am looking to try to overseed or drag up and replant some areas now that I have killed the majority of weeds. Where should I start when trying to thicken the yard up as far as type of seed or shade grass seed or do I have someone come in and hydroseed or lay straw over broadcasted seed? I have rental properties on both sides of me that have weeds that are plentiful and left unmanaged for the most part. I took a few trips into it with sprayer to kill what was the adjoining grass but I'm sure I will have plenty to contend with yet. Any help would be great.

Last edited:

Nwatson99

Threads
The very best time to sew grass is right before a snow and the ground is not frozen.
It all depends on the size of the area, if it is a huge area I would have someone hydro-seed and get it done with one shot myself.