Wiring issue on riding mower

okfine

Threads
I have a craftsman 917 series riding mower that I am rehabing. The issue is the wire from the battery to the solenoid. First let me say that to see if the starter was ok, I took a jumper wire from the plus side of battery to the starter. It spun the motor just fine. I then disconneted both wires from the solenoid, the one from the battery and the one to the starter was already disconnected. I tried to run starter direct from the cable that comes from the battery, nothing. I checked the volts and found them to be the same as accross the battery 12 + volts. I also checked this wire with my test light and it was very weak, not as bright as accross the battery. I am thinking I need to replace the cable from the battery to the solenoid. Any thoughts on this?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think you are on the right track. I would change both wires, battery to solenoid and solenoid to starter. I would use 6 gauge wire.

okfine

Threads
Thanks for the input, wiring stuff drives me crazy.

okfine

Threads
Ok latest update, I replaced both wires and the motor turns over fine. I haven't had it running yet just going throught the process.