Winter not gone yet...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well last week was nice being in the 70's. I got up this morning to below 32F. I was just commenting Saturday that we would see locally temp below freezing see the peach and plum trees are in full bloom. I got to where I don't even spray the trees until after all the late freezes are gone by. Lost all the fruit last year due to late Spring mid 20's freeze. THe only thing survive last year was the few apples on the new trees but went South when the drought hit.

Oh why do I keep trying to raise fruit? No wonder the peach orchards in my area had cut down all their trees and end up getting rid of the apple trees too.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well last week was nice being in the 70's. I got up this morning to below 32F. I was just commenting Saturday that we would see locally temp below freezing see the peach and plum trees are in full bloom. I got to where I don't even spray the trees until after all the late freezes are gone by. Lost all the fruit last year due to late Spring mid 20's freeze. THe only thing survive last year was the few apples on the new trees but went South when the drought hit.

Oh why do I keep trying to raise fruit? No wonder the peach orchards in my area had cut down all their trees and end up getting rid of the apple trees too.

My landlords pear tree didn't have a one on it last year. It bugged us all to death as to why. You just solved the mystery, Sherlock. Thanks.

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is said to be the year of the Cicada bugs.. Not a fan I must say.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is said to be the year of the Cicada bugs.. Not a fan I must say.

Oh great. :rolleyes:

This video states they're east of the Mississippi. But here in AR, they're loud and proud. And very annoying after 5 minutes.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't see or hear anything yet. Wife is all concerned about them.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 2024 cicadas will emerge after leaves appear on trees. Think late spring. You can't prevent cicadas from coming, but you can limit the damage to your yard and your hearing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I remember the last time they showed up and left. The following year lots tree limbs damage from them. A lot these weaken limbs broke off so I had a mess to up for near two years.

As to when they will appear it should be late June or afterwards. About the same time as the large annual Cicadas we call July Flies here in the South. Which btw we have a wasp large enough to carry these off to their underground nests. Sorry no pictures of the wasp. Don't want to get strung by one as you will nearly the ER. Two versions I have seen, one looks like a giant red wasp and the other looks like a giant hornet. Both can knock you down if they string you in the forehead as they did a neighbor that was poking around in the wasp nest hole.
1710591469614.png

Last edited: