Will not start

bwestbrook

Threads
Have a kohler CV15s that will not start. It will turn over. I have good spark. I am getting fuel through the carb. Plug is getting wet. 60 psi compression. This mower was running but had to have starter rebuilt. Now won't start. What should compression be?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Compression is a little low. I would like to see around 90. Try squirting a little oil in the cylinder to see if the compression goes up. If it does you know that you have a ring problem.

bwestbrook

Threads
That's what I was thinking closer to 90 but wasn't sure. I knew I had fuel and fire but didn't seem like I had much compression. Thanks I will try that tomorrow.

bwestbrook

Threads
Compression at best was 65 psi with oil in cylinder. This mower was running good except the starter problem. Even if compression is a little low a shot of carb cleaner should ignite should it not? I know I am getting spark also by testing with a spark tester.

possum

Threads
Your getting spark with the tester but are you getting spark through the plug?

bwestbrook

Threads
And how would I know for sure. I mean I know you can pull the plug and test it against the block but that doesn't accurately show how strong of a spark under compression. I guess I will have to use a different plug.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The oil didn't raise the compression much... You may have a valve failing to close. Take the valve cover off and give the valves a look... :smile:KennyV

redfish9

Threads
OLD time test for that is the color of the spark,blue spark is good orange spark is weak.Could be plug,if not maybe coil

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Right now I would look for the low compression problem. Kenny is right check the valves first, make sure you have clearance.

bwestbrook

Threads
I will check valves but they are non adjustable. I will post back what I find.
As far as spark it is a good blue spark. Thanks for the responses guys.