Why I REGRET my new Toro Recycler self-propelled mower purchase

ToroToro

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Why I REGRET my new Toro Recycler self-propelled mower purchase
Maybe someone has some advice, but so far I think it's going to be the worst summer ever mowing. For the record I have owned about seven self-propelled mowers in the past which worked out fine.

First impressions of the Toro 20333 were excellent. Easy to assemble, started right up, handled very well on a straight path -best self-propelled I had ever experienced on a straight path.

The only problem is if you have to make a 90 degree turn, a u-turn. or pull it backwards, it is absolute dead weight, the wheels drag, like moving an anvil with a handle on it.

And if your yard isn't perfect, and has high patches or low areas where it's damp, forget about it.

My other self-propelled mower, purchased a couple of years ago, is a little slower on a straight path -doesn't have the nice ability to vary your speed like the Toro. But it ate everything in the high patches like a hungry monster, and with a smaller engine than my current Toro. You could tilt it and pull it backwards, not "easily," but not like dragging an anvil across your yard.

I have a full acre and always have mowed a half-acre one day and a half the next. Right now I came inside barely having mowed anything -as exhausted as if I had mowed the whole lawn.

Not looking forward to mowing with this machine EVEN ONCE. Wrong machine for a less than perfect yard, or one where you might have to navigate something other than a totally straight path, or one where you might have to mow under a tree with low limbs or a bush or two or more.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Sounds to me like something is out of adjustment. Maybe the cable form the handle is too tight so the drive doesn't fully disengage? I bought mine from a full service dealer and it was all assembled and checked out when I picked it up, so I've made no adjustments. All I've done is wash it after every use, change the oil and grease the drive wheels via the zerk fittings. It has been about the best mower I've ever owned for handling and mowing around obstacles.

xp14629

Threads
If you just bought it why don't you take it to your local toro dealer and have it checked out? Those have a two year warranty if I remember correctly. If you bought it from a box store and not the dealer, be sire to take your receipt as even if you registered it online, those only take about 50% of the time. From my first hand experience, I would only own a new toro long enough to load up and take to the scrap yard, FYI.

twinfords

Threads
Honestly i think it is all about application, what you need you rmower to do. FWD or RWD provide different features. true your mower should not feel like a lead sled when you pull it back. some of the personal pace Toro's are so light and easy when you pull them back you think they are not self propelled. give it a good thorough inspection and if you still are not happy take it back. if you are turning around alot or going back anf forth i do not recommend a RWD.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Problem is that the Personnal Pace cable is not set properly, set to tight, not allowing the tranie to disengage when you pull back on the handle. As for cutting power I don't know of any mower that will not bog down cutting damp grass. If you are mulching you also have to clean the deck to insure that the blade can move the grass around properly or the engine will bog.