Why Does Engine Not Rev Up? How to Adjust Valves?

camry3

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro LX426 riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton Intek Engine 331777 094682. it was running one day and stalled on me and wouldn't restart. it has a new 12v battery, solenoid, and I just put a new starter motor that was bad. i did a valve adjustment and put a new gasket on valve cover. engine started a little hard, but it started. smoke started coming out and the engine does not rev up high like before. i checked the valves again and they are loose again. i adjusted again according to the specs but the valves just loosen up again. Any thoughts on why it's not revving up like before, the smoke, and the valves not staying adjusted?

SaveShare
Reply Quote

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly dip the oil and see if it is suddenly over filled and smells like fuel
Next , check that the stud that the rockers pivot on is tight in the head thay can come loose
Lastly the rockers adjust backwrds to what most people think.
The nut is the adjuster and the grub screw in the middle is the locking device

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also you need make the rocker studs are not backing. If are then they need to be torqued to 150 in/lbs. And the adjuster grub screw is torque to 45 in/lbs

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Also you need make the rocker studs are not backing. If are then they need to be torqued to 150 in/lbs. And the adjuster grub screw is torque to 45 in/lbs
Yep, if valves are adjusted correctly, they will stay like that for hundreds of hours. Smoke coming out should dissipate shortly after running a bit, or your got bigger problems.
Engine not revving up as it should (like it did before). Did you monkey with the governor? No reason RPMs should change on their own when simply adjusting the valves.

camry3

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new to this. what does it mean when you say make sure the rocker studs are not backing? How do you check that?