Why Does Electric Lift Still Have a Lift Handle?

beatleswmc01

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m working on my grandmother’s Craftsman Professional from 2008 model number 917.288740. It’ll be a great mower again when all the things get fixed on it (deck doesn’t lift, actuator needs repair or replacement but it still doesn’t lift when you can get it to run doing the hammer trick — the lift shaft assembly holes are both wallowed out and I think that’s part of the issue. At the least it makes things sloppy and causes unnecessary deck leveling issues for a part that’s only like $20 used. Wish they could have used some sort a bushing from the factory but I’m not an engineer to know what’s best and if a bushing would impede operation).

It has an electric lift from factory, why do y’all think it still has that “lift handle” that sticks out like a manual lift does? Is it so that the mower is modular, as to say they only have to make one body “fender” assembly instead of making one without the cutout? I know it’s probably a mechanical way to show how high the deck is lifted as well, that’s the most important reason for the end user.

I just joined the site last night because I didn’t find a good small engine repair subreddit. Loving it here so far 😁

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post Model #'s from under seat, thanks, Mark
Click above, is part worn out? If you purchase above part grease everything that moves.

Last edited:

beatleswmc01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post Model #'s from under seat, thanks, Mark
Click above, is part worn out? If you purchase above part grease everything that moves.
Thanks Mark! I do plan on replacing that part because it is wallowed out enough to cause issues even if the deck could still lift. The actuator assembly itself is dead but it may work again if I take it apart and clean/restore it. It tries to work sometimes if you beat it with a hammer, I thought to do that from my automotive experience. I was gonna pull it today to bench test it and clean it but my tools are spread around right now so I didn’t pull the body off to get better clearance for the stuck bolt (My actuator bolts to the shaft assembly with a threaded bolt and not a pin like the diagram, mine is like the Husqvarna 2354 GXLS (96043006800). The (threaded?) sleeve where the actuator hooks up to the shaft assembly appears to be damaged and I need better clearance to get the bolt out.

The deck to frame brace (the straight piece that goes up diagonally, “suspension arm”) is loose on the right-hand side and the lift link is loose on the left-hand side. However, there’s a flat in the LH tire which can cause that issue, I’d imagine. The rod on the front of the deck going towards the front of the mower is missing the washer which also keeps things from being as optimal as possible and, of course, causing potential slop.

My uncle rigged it up back before I could do anything useful with small engines/power equipment — he had a clothes pin on the loose lift linkage at the adjustment nut and a pair of vise-grips on the front linkage. He’d changed the lift switch but I figured out that it’s the motor.

I wanna do an overhaul, especially while parts can still be found. Greasing those bushingless lift linkage holes like you said to do needs to be done a few times a year or at least once a year. I wanna see if there’s something I can use as a bushing to counteract wear without impeding function.

Last edited: