Threads
  • / Why 50% of All Crimp Electric Connections Fail - One Trick Fixes It
Some pretty good info in this.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This why I have a racketing professional crimper to do these crimps. Those lousy crimpers that places like Walmart sell are useless you just can not create enough crimping pressure by hand.

The only problem I had which required me buying a second crimper was doing F56 male terminal. I had to have one dies modified.

And I prefer to use the un-insulated terminals and use heat shrink tubing to insulate them.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Turns out, I've been crimping them upside down all this time. I always tugged on the wire, to make sure it was snug.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
At 2 min he mentions the FLAT portion of the connector when there isn't a flat portion on a round connector . How to identify a flat .

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
After viewing the uTube video which I don't normally do. I do see the problem and it is the type of crimpers he is using. It is not design to properly crimp the terminals as it is for a different of connectors like cable lugs. Of course it going not to crimp properly. As noted the solution is to reverse the way the crimping is done. There are proper crimpers out there.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
After viewing the uTube video which I don't normally do. I do see the problem and it is the type of crimpers he is using. It is not design to properly crimp the terminals as it is for a different of connectors like cable lugs. Of course it going not to crimp properly. As noted the solution is to reverse the way the crimping is done. There are proper crimpers out there.
Yeah. The crimper he is using is made to crimp ground sleeves.
These

Not insulated terminals. They need one like this

Like I said. Everybody with a YouTube channel is an expert.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah. The crimper he is using is made to crimp ground sleeves.
These

Not insulated terminals. They need one like this

Like I said. Everybody with a YouTube channel is an expert.

There's a lot of bad ones out there because there's just soooo much money to be made on Youtube. Seriously, it's pretty easy to make $100K per year just posting everything from dumb stuff to really intelligent, informative stuff.

It's pretty easy to weed out the dummy's.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
PT, You jinked me as ran across an insulted terminal crimped just those in the video. Of course the connection was loose as a goose that drunk too much water. IT took 45 yrs to run across one like that.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
To me, a crimp is no good unless you can slice it apart and see a solid blob of copper. Always like to add a dab of solder to the exposed copper on the connector for a 1-2 punch.

I prefer soldering and marine grade heat shrinking with the adhesive goo inside it. Depends on what tools I have access to.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A properly crimped terminal is what is called gas tight meaning the metal of the terminal is compressed hard enough on the wire that oxygen molecules can't get between the terminal and wire. If not crimped properly oxygen can penetrate and oxidize the metals causing corrosion. 99% of DIY crimps fail because wrong size terminal or wrong tool doesn't make a proper mechanical gas tight crimp.