Which vintage Snapper RER for me?

wepaddle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been a Snapper walk behind fan for 25 years. Currently have a commercial high vac that I bought used with a Robin Engine. When it died I repowered with a Kawasaki and it will probably be the last walk behind I ever buy. I have an itch to get one of their RER mowers. I thought it might help get the yard done faster and also would like to get one that needs work and make a father son project out of. In any given week there are several on Craigslist from $125 to $350. I'm looking for information about the various size decks, the various vintages, motors, etc. What do people prefer and what if any should I stay away from? Also from a repair/restoration standpoint what kind of problems are fixable and which should I consider fatal and stay away from? One last thing - what's your favorite online parts source?
Thanks!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been a Snapper walk behind fan for 25 years. Currently have a commercial high vac that I bought used with a Robin Engine. When it died I repowered with a Kawasaki and it will probably be the last walk behind I ever buy. I have an itch to get one of their RER mowers. I thought it might help get the yard done faster and also would like to get one that needs work and make a father son project out of. In any given week there are several on Craigslist from $125 to $350. I'm looking for information about the various size decks, the various vintages, motors, etc. What do people prefer and what if any should I stay away from? Also from a repair/restoration standpoint what kind of problems are fixable and which should I consider fatal and stay away from? One last thing - what's your favorite online parts source?
Thanks!

The only snapper rer I would stay away from is the 42 inch and I say that because of the deck belt at $65 and most dealers or shops do not keep them in stock. But it is the best built frame of all the snapper rer.
The 28 and 30 inch deck mowers are all the same but the deck size.

The only thing to really look out for is the center tube frame make sure it is not bent or broke.
Everything thing else is very easy to fix or replace

You can go to snapper.com and look at pics and order anything you might need or just get part numbers and go to a dealer.
On any used rer I always replace all the bushings on the wheels and steering and the frame spacers. As you already know snapper was once the best mower you could buy so look for one 4 years old or older.
I like the early 80s models the best not that they have changed much over the years

But be very careful once you fix one up your hooked and you won't be able to stop buying them

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

snapperresto1

Threads
Hello, I am an avid Snapper RER, collector, repairman and restorer. The older "bicycle handlebar type" are the best. These machines are mecahnically simplistic and parts are affordable and plentiful, both new, NOS and used. There was a few years they produced some Extra Tough series riders (noted by an "X" in the model #, i.e. 3311X5SE, etc.) The newer the mower the more Ralph Nader influences they have in the form of safety crap. The ET's werent available until series 5, mid to late 8os I think. The ETs had threaded tie rod ends and bearings on the rear fenders versus graphite bushings. You can see a couple of my resto's at An oldie but a goody and snapper 30. They are very addictive to restore. Good luck and happy hunting. Here for questions if you have any. Dale in Louisiana.:smile: