Which lawn mower should I get? About 1 acre, slightly bumpy, barren patches

oxonian

Threads
  • / Which lawn mower should I get? About 1 acre, slightly bumpy, barren patches
Hello friends,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I am in the Houston, TX area.

I am looking for a lawn mower recommendation for my acreage home. I will be getting a tractor with a brush hog to maintain most of the acreage, but I need a good lawnmower for the front and back yard areas.

The total area that I may want to upkeep with a lawnmower is maybe ~1 acre. That area is not completely flat, it is bumpy (not hilly), just bumpy,and has rocks and barren patches of land where no grass is currently growing.

I would prefer a gas powered mower, that mulches the cuttings, I do not need to bag them.

I was thinking of getting one of the entry level or slightly higher, commercial mowers, e.g I saw the Honda HRC216HXA at a dealer where I was looking for my tractors, but not sure if this is too much for my needs.

I can provide additional information if needed.

Thank you!
Oxonian

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check out the Ferris F series. They make a 36in cut with a Kawasaki 19 HP. or something with a little bigger cut if you feel the need.

oxonian

Threads
Thank you. Do you know about how much they run for?

How about if I want a walk behind mower? Any recommendations for that?

Should I go with the Toro from the big box store for about $400 or a Honda for about $1200?

Thank you so much,
Oxonian

katy

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi,maybe i can help u,i now how it s difficult sometimes to find smth really worth buying, cause there are a lot of lawn mowers of different types :confused2:. http://jonsguide.org/best-4-cycle-weed-eater/ check this link , there are severel weed eaters, i m sure u ll find there some useful info

Snapperfreak

Threads
The Honda HRX217HYA is around $750 and although not listed as "commercial" I think you would be very pleased with it if you were to choose a regular walk behind mower as opposed to a bigger 36" or so unit. I can't help but recommend it based on everything I have learned about it and the older version of it that I have. Lots of videos about it out there, it's worth searching up.

oxonian

Threads
Hi,

Thank you for your reply snapper freak, I appreciate it.

I am finding the Honda HRX217HZA for $849 in most stores around here.

Is that a good buy?

I am wondering if I should get that or spend a bit more for an entry level riding mower?

Thank you!
Oxonian

Snapperfreak

Threads
For buying it in a store that's probably a fair price, I see it for $729 on several on-line sites but not sure if there's shipping also and then of course having to wait for it. For just mowing relatively flat grass an entry level rider would be good too, perhaps better for an acre or so as you have. I'd have to let others inform you as to which ones are better but as I understand most of them are just fine for mowing grass, it's when you start towing with those entry riders or subjecting them to some sort of load other than normal mowing that they start wearing out. That's about all I know for the riders. True, an acre is a lot to be walking around on to mow, would a rider take care of the front yard too or just the back?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you want a good commercial mowers think more like 6 to 10 thousand dollars for a good resident mower 2 to 3 thousand dollars. You will like a rider much better then a push mower for that much lawn.

oxonian

Threads
Thank you friends, I appreciate your replies.

I will look into the rider option a bit, to see if I can get something that fits in my budget.

Do you know if I can get a rider for about $1500 to $2000?

What is a good entry level rider that you suggest?

Thank you!
Oxonian

Snapperfreak

Threads
I found a couple that might fit the bill. One is the Husqvarna YTH24V48, the other is a Cub Cadet XT1LT50. Again I can't speak for their real world reliability but they're both in your price range. Hope that helps.