Buying Advice WHICH Ariens ZTM??? Base Zoom or XL or MAX Zoom???

hefner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have bumpy terrain 1.5 acre yard. I am going from a garden tractor to a ZTM. I'm leaning between these models from Home Depot:

1. Ariens Zoom 50 inch. $2,999 Engine: 23 HP Kohler Courage V-Twin
2. Ariens Zoom XL 54 inch. $3,999 Engine: 54 in. 24 hp Kawasaki FR V-Twin
3. Ariens Max Zoom 60 inch. $4,999 Engine: 25 HP Kohler Courage Pro V-Twin

I know that I probably don't really NEED the XL or Max, but like the idea of a better build machine. I don't mind spending a little more to get the best, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any thoughts???

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If they have all three side by side... It should be easy to spot a $2k difference...
:smile:KennyV

hefner

Forum Newbie
Threads
yeah, looking online, so I'm not actually looking at them...

not a huge difference, mainly a difference in quality of the parts. I think I'm leaning toward the XL. Any other input?

Thx

fogbullet

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Max Zoom is by far the superior of the 3. It has a 1 year commercial warranty. That says a lot.

hefner

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Max Zoom is by far the superior of the 3. It has a 1 year commercial warranty. That says a lot.

... well, I was going to go with the Max 60, but then I ended up seeing that my shed door opening was not big enough to allow the 60 inch deck to fit. so I decided to go with the 54 inch XL. I'm sure it will be a good machine overall, but I hope I don't end up regretting it in the long run.. Maybe I shoulda just built a bigger shed...

fogbullet

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Max Zoom comes with a 48", 52" or 60"...your choice. But sounds like you've committed. I cut my 1.5 acres with a John Deere 48" Zero Turn powered by a 25HP Kawasaki. 1 hour max. At 54" you have plenty of cutting swath. You'll be fine.

poloman

Threads
  • / WHICH Ariens ZTM??? Base Zoom or XL or MAX Zoom???
I was looking at 60" decks with 27hp Kawasaki engines. I found a used machine with a 40" fabricated deck and a B&S 16hp engine. This was owned by someone who really cared for it. This Aliens performs so much better than I expected. Thrilled with the mower and saved a bunch of cash. I think you'll be happy.

sdb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am also currently looking at a ZT, and all of the posts and places I have seen said to avoid the Kohler Courage engine. I apparently the economic version of their engine that was easy to mass produce but does not hold up well. I do not have any direct experience just what I have read online at almost every site. Just FYI.

Good Luck

GGOSSLER

Threads
SDB:

I purchased a 52" ZT/HD with Kawasakie engine, have about 25 hours on it now. To put it very simply,
I have never owned such a fine machine. Previously owned a JD 20 hp Water cooled Kawasakie, had it
ten years, with over 500 hours on it.

This new Gravely machine is a pleasure to use, took a few hours to become accustomed to the difference
in a ZT system, but cuts a beautiful yard.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
SDB:

I purchased a 52" ZT/HD with Kawasakie engine, have about 25 hours on it now. To put it very simply,
I have never owned such a fine machine. Previously owned a JD 20 hp Water cooled Kawasakie, had it
ten years, with over 500 hours on it.

This new Gravely machine is a pleasure to use, took a few hours to become accustomed to the difference
in a ZT system, but cuts a beautiful yard.
GGOSLER,
So how many hours have you got on that Gravely now? I just bought a step up from the ZT HD(a 52" Pro-Turn 152 XDZ with the Kawasaki FX series engine) because I wanted an entry-level commercial model. These Gravely's are designed to mow 500 hours a year rather than the 10 years it took you to put that on your JD, so you'll be hard pressed to wear that puppy out in a lifetime. I agree with you...the Arien Company has made some fine ZTR's for years(my neighbor has a 48" he bought 15 years ago and it still cuts his yard like a golf course), but their acquisition of Gravely a few years ago added some top notch commercial quality machines to their product line. I have no doubt that my 6-yr-old grandson will be cutting his grass with my Gravely long after Grandpa is gone!!