Where to find Walbro LMT 799728 Carb for 12.5 HP Engine?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Where to find Walbro LMT 799728 Carb for 12.5 HP Engine?
Personally I don't have a problem with either one repair wise as long as you can get the parts. Matter of fact I install bushings in the twin barrel Nikki when ever need although the last one took a schedule 80 brass pipe to repair. Even the Walbro have to have custom bushings install sometimes. One the biggest problems I have is where the main nozzle on the Walbro had been screw up by someone that don't how to remove them. Nikki bowl screws are also F'd up by those that don't to use the right tools.

Now some Walbro you have to have the 1/8" vs the 1/16" bowl gaskets in stock.

TobyU

Threads
Personally I don't either one very to repair as long as you can get the parts. Matter of fact I install bushings in the twin barrel Nikki when ever need although the last one took a schedule 80 brass pipe to repair. Even the Walbro have to have custom bushings install sometimes. One the biggest problems I have is where the main nozzle on the Walbro had been screw up by someone that don't how to remove them. Nikki bowl screws are also F'd up by those that don't to use the right tools.

Now some Walbro you have to have the 1/8" vs the 1/16" bowl gaskets in stock.
True about those bolts, but there is no reason for those things to be that tight.

Forest#2

Threads
What do you mean when you say the aftermarket carbs typically have about a 75% failure rate?
I got that failure rate upside down. I get the Nikki's from Amazon prime and have about a 20% failure rate. (2 out of 10 that I can return for a full refund.
I usually just turn around and order another and get a go.
Usually about $15 for the single barrel type with free shipping.
What I've found that usually causes a good running carb to fail is long term storage from a machine not being used and or use of ethanol gas.
A Nikki carb that has been know to have ran good on a machine can usually be easily re-built right when it first starts running rough on a machine, but a new China clone that does not operate correctly when NEW is usually a waste of effort, especially when it can be returned for FREE.
Also no need in wasting money on more expensive carb just to test a used engine that might not be any good such as a oil burner.

But on another subject, on a new to me engine that I have never seen run that is missing lots of external parts I run a leak down test to get general idea if it's going to be a oil burner, head gasket leaking and if the valves are sealing, before I start spending any money to get a test run and then see a oil burner or worse.
Here is a link to a you tube video that gives some hints about working on a single barrel Nikki carb.

Another link to find carb kits and carb pieces at reasonably prices and shipping not inflated. (PLUS LOTS OF OTHER STUFF) They are a fast shipper to the lower 48.
Click on the menu bars at upper left corner and select for example Briggs and Stratton Carb (when you see a Nikki carb part number you have to search as a Briggs part number, NOT NIKKI PART NUMBERs)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is hard not to wet myself from laughter when reading all of these " I can not find the right carb threads "
There is nothing magical or mystical about any mower carburettor.
The only important thing is the mounting stud spacings
After that just about everything can be worked around
Now it will be easier if the replacement has similar orientation of the butterflys ( horizontal or vertical ) and the engine will work a bit better if the venturii is the same diameter and it is best not to mix carbs from gravity feed with pump feed as the float needles may need adjusting .
but when push comes to shove it is just 2 tubes at right angles to each other fuel goes through one & air through the other .You could put a 4 barrel Holly on there if you really wanted to .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert one of the problem is that the DIYer don't the experience that some of us with carbs.

And the aftermarket folks are getting better at putting together a carb that meets the needed specs but I still have about a 50 % failure rate. By this I mean a carburetor that works right out the box without any mods.

seagiant

Threads
It is hard not to wet myself from laughter when reading all of these " I can not find the right carb threads "
There is nothing magical or mystical about any mower carburettor.
The only important thing is the mounting stud spacings
After that just about everything can be worked around
Now it will be easier if the replacement has similar orientation of the butterflys ( horizontal or vertical ) and the engine will work a bit better if the venturii is the same diameter and it is best not to mix carbs from gravity feed with pump feed as the float needles may need adjusting .
but when push comes to shove it is just 2 tubes at right angles to each other fuel goes through one & air through the other .You could put a 4 barrel Holly on there if you really wanted to .
Hi,
Soooo.....What was the original Carb put on this Engine out of the Factory???

Engine Model, Type, and Code has been provided!

Thank you!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All info on this engine is, Model 288707 Type 0170-01 Code 970307ZB If this is the engine you are asking about in your last post, Star said according to the IPL the original carb was Briggs part number 799728, which he replied to you in post #7.

seagiant

Threads
All info on this engine is, Model 288707 Type 0170-01 Code 970307ZB If this is the engine you are asking about in your last post, Star said according to the IPL the original carb was Briggs part number 799728, which he replied to you in post #7.
Hi,
That is not the original carb, that's a Nikki Carb and the original was a Walbro LMT but never found which exact one (no numbers!)

Maybe try that 4 barrel Holly! (good rep!)

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to the IPL that was the original carb, but if you don’t believe us you will have to find someone who still has Briggs microfiche cards and have them check for you. Yes, microfiche cards were still used in the mid90’s.

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Well...Belief is not the question...

From what I can find out they quit making that Walbro LMT and then just used the same number to tag the Nikki with.

That looks good on paper and the parts computer down at the shop, but...

Does not give the info to find an exact Walbro carb!

Thanks!