When to seed...when to fertilize?

mnnative

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought I would check out a new forum. I'm looking for advice for what cool temperature shaded grass seed to go with? Further, any recommendations for when to seed and wenn to fertilize? The past season didn't go well growing grass in a significant size area and this year am determined to get my yard back.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Frank Dodson

Forum Newbie
Threads
It depends on where you live. I live in TN and I think it is too late for seeding the cool season grasses (fescue, bluegrass etc). With warm season grasses such as bermuda now through June 15th. Cool season grasses need to be fertilized now and warm season grasses around June 1. Some may disagree but I have had success sowing and fertilizing at these times.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnWorld!

We moved your thread to the Lawn Care & Landscaping forum.

bjackson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought I would check out a new forum. I'm looking for advice for what cool temperature shaded grass seed to go with? Further, any recommendations for when to seed and wenn to fertilize? The past season didn't go well growing grass in a significant size area and this year am determined to get my yard back.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I did it on my own for a few years but it was not worth the hassle.. I ended up hiring a great company in Tampa (Green Solutions Lawn Care). They even managed my pest control so it was well worth the time and money!

HondaPower

Threads
i always seed and fert in may but i know the best time is september according to alot of people

tomsil

Forum Newbie
Threads
I fertilize once in the spring.
once in last week of spring.
Once imid to late fall

eastsidelawncare

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can't give a blanket answer on when to seed especially as it depends on the climate. That said for a cool season grass seed in late winter/early spring for most climates.

Lonnie,

Eastside Landcare

MowerMark

Threads
I'm in California and without good reason I use Ironite and Scott's Lawn Fertilizer every month, except neither from November to February. Is this not good ?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
To much iron can cause issues. But unless your noticing yellow spots keep doing whatever is working for you

MowerMark

Threads
To much iron can cause issues. But unless your noticing yellow spots keep doing whatever is working for you

What issues ? The bag of Ironite doesn't warn of any issue. Is monthly "too much" ?

The iron makes the lawn a darker green without causing the increased growth caused by fertilizers.