When is it time for a new blade

stygz

Threads
I got a Lawn Boy Platinum (Green Toro super bagger). I exclusivly mulch. The blade is the original going on its 4th season. It has been sharpened at least once a year. I just touched up the edge last week with one of those lawn mower blade sharpeners for your cordless drill. Well after one time mowing it seems to have lost more of the sharp edge than expected. I have a 7,000 sq ft yard and cut low 1.5" (Bermuda grass). Is it time for a new blade or should I try to have it professionaly sharpened?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most Manufacturers say that you should only sharpen and balance a blade 2 to 3 times before replacing but thats probably down to safety and sales.
If in doubt get it done at a dealer.
Its not so much the sharpening but the balance you want right.
Bad balance can wreck machines.

stygz

Threads
I use the cone balancer every time that I sharpen.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you sharpen you must check two things. First is the back corner of the blade as thick as the middle of the blade. If it is less than half the thickness time to replace. Second, is the wing showing signs of undercutting. The blade should be smooth form the cutting edge, up the wing, to the back edge. Any valleys or ridges means time to replace. If you have doubts, have it checked and sharpened.

carlcap1491

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well you probably won't believe this but; I have been sharpening my blade on my lawnmower for the last 11 years with no problems. I still have the original blade and I have no balance problems with it. I have a grinding wheel I purchased from Sears about 20yrs ago and I use it every year to sharpen the blade. Sharpening a blade is a very sensitive operation in respect to getting both sides of the blade approximately the same shape. Just make sure when sharpening, that you get all of the dullness or rounding of the blade off and put a sharp edge on it. This requires both sides of the blade, front and back and left and right side. Another words, you are doing four sides of the blade to get it complete. If you like when finished, you can put the blade on a cone to check for balance. I have never checked for balance and never had any problems with the blade after sharpening. I just put it back on the machine and presto, the machine starts up and cuts the grass like it was new again. Therefore my answer for a new blade is; when the blade breaks or bends then, it's time for a new blade.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Definitely would not follow the last post. He's been very lucky. Have seen blades that were not balanced cause more problems than you can guess. Worst being bushing wear on the PTO side, meaning engine replacement. I sharpen blade with either a blade grinder or bench grinder and always check balance. In a pinch you can use a large nail in a vise to check balance.

stygz

Threads
I took the blade to the local shop last week to get sharpened. They did it on the spot for three dollars. It seems to be holding an edge better. They looked a the blade and said it was still good. I may pick up a second blade to rotate out. Thats if I keep the mower. I am looking at a new super recycler or Honda HRX for better mulching and more power.