What's your worst weather experience?

adan

Threads
Typhoon Megi (referred to in the Philippines as 'Juan') just passed by in my part of the world. Though I was way down south, I also understand that it was the strongest since 2007. Last year, Metro Manila was hit by typhoon Ketsana (referred to as 'Ondoy' here). I thought it was the strongest. Entire subdivisions submerged up to the second storeys. But I got all these info only from the news.

We don't have those kinds of typhoons and floods in the southern-most island of the country (Mindanao). So my most nightmarish experience happened when i was a student in Laguna (60km south of Manila). The eye of the typhoon passed through the center of the campus. A large and old tree was uprooted. It was that strong. While the typhoon was raging, I was praying a lot. When the typhoon passed, the whole campus was impassable for hours. Trunks of fallen trees were all around, blocking all roads.

I wonder how it is in other parts of the world. How does a hurricane really look and feel? I see them only in American movies.

rmancini

Threads
I remember well, just how powerful a typhoon can be.
I was aboard ship in Subic Bay (Luzon) in 1971. A typhoon was heading for the island so we got underway along with 6 or 7 other ships in our battle group.
We didn't quite make it in time as the storm caught us and tore the catwalks from both sides of the flight deck. Thats quite a bit of iron!!
Luzon didn't fare much better - drowned livestock on the roads and such almost as far as Angeles City.
Transportation was non-existant since the roads were either blocked or washed away.
The ship repair facility at Subic couldn't make the repairs due to storm damage so we ended up at the Sembawang Shipyard in Singapore.
It was quite an experience!:eek:

173abn

Threads
Adan,I was stationed in Vietnam back in 1970 and was ending my tour there when a Typhoon hit.I found out when I got home that 100,000 people were killed in Bandgelesh by that very same Typhoon.I've also been in several tornadoes the wost being an f-5 that went through my city of Topeka,Ks. back in 1966.That's one I'll never forget.I don't think theres any differance between a typhoon and a hurricane other than the way they spin .I might be wrong but that's what I've heard. russ

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The summer of 2004 brought 4 hurricanes to Florida 3 of which crossed the peninsula, the eye of one of those passed directly over my house (Jeane), another passed but 60 miles to the east (Charley).
Jeane came with 105 mph winds at land fall and 85 mph here. The anticipation was the worst as I chose not to evacuate. You don't know what to expect or how bad it's going to get. Thankfully my decision not to evacuate proved to be the right one. The power was out for ten days, which takes a little getting used to. As soon as you know that the worst is over, when the wind changes direction, you begin to relax and think "whew" I'm glad I still have a house, and a roof. But it's not over until the power comes back on. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm addicted to "the grid". I'll bet I hit the light switch 50 times reflexively before I understood that it did not provide light.
Thankfully that was the worst weather experience I've had to endure, and I hope it stays that way.

lizard

Threads
Mowing in 42 degree Celcius Temperature......this brings out fuel vapourisation and dehydration of the human body.:confused2:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mowing in 42 degree Celcius Temperature......this brings out fuel vapourisation and dehydration of the human body.:confused2:
that's 107.8F for the rest of us. Too hot to think:eek:

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
For me, the weather has never affected me all that much. I mean, I've been around snow and ice, but I just avoided it and skipped work lol. The ice is what always gets me. I'm really scared of it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

Hey lizard when it gets over 42 degrees C ... I usually switch the A/C in my cab up to high...:biggrin:

As for weather, f-5 tornado here at home and nice icy blizzards in Utah mountains...

but when it all calms down again, all weather causes things to grow, so we all can then MOW...
:smile:KennyV

lizard

Threads
Hey lizard when it gets over 42 degrees C ... I usually switch the A/C in my cab up to high...:biggrin:

As for weather, f-5 tornado here at home and nice icy blizzards in Utah mountains...

but when it all calms down again, all weather causes things to grow, so we all can then MOW...
:smile:KennyV

Sounds really exciting to have aircon working in such high temperatures......but we do not get snow:confused2:

adan

Threads

Yeah, I hear about 42-degree temperatures in Australia that cause grass fields to just actually burn. I read about bush fire that affected a large area a year or two ago. That's the hazard in your area.

I mentioned that most of Mindanao does not experience typhoon. But drought hits this island a lot. Good thing we don't have 42-degree temperatures here, except around bonfires :)

A tornado did pass by our place. The only one in my 40-year memory. It twisted and uprooted a falcata tree 10 storeys high sometime in 1980. Around ten years earlier, hail fell in my place that really scared the sh_t out of me. I was a very young boy then.