What's wrong with my Honda Lawnmower? Almost pulled my arm off! Repair? New mower?

ETAF

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / What's wrong with my Honda Lawnmower? Almost pulled my arm off! Repair? New mower?
Which model did you get to replacy the honda ?

i have been looking to replace a 2004 honda at some point , although still going strong, i thought we had an issue with fuel recently - but thats OK and just had a new recoil starter assembly sent as the string pull start all frayed on Wednesday 10th when i cut the lawn!!!!

the EGO was on my list to get
the one i looked at was the
LM2102SP

I'm in UK
and the kit comes with a 7.5Ah battery - just 1 and a charger , just over £900
or the smaller
LM1903ESP
18" model - with 5Ah battery and charger at under £700

Gord Baker

Threads
  • / What's wrong with my Honda Lawnmower? Almost pulled my arm off! Repair? New mower?
After such abuse with maintenance it is no wonder. You may have Water in the float bowl. Change the oil, air filter and spark plug.
This wonderful Honda Lawnmower has been reliable. Occasionally there's initial white exhaust, but it always starts with two pulls. Last oil change was three years ago, last spark plug change six years ago. The mower is used 0-2x/week on 1500 sq. ft. of lawn.

Today half of the lawn was mowed, then emptied the bag. Tried restarting the mower and OUCH. The cord pulled back about halfway during the pull. Never has done this before. Pulled again once, and it would not start. Pulled again and the cord met with extreme resistance halfway through the pull again. I gave up and left the section not done.

What would you now do? Seems it's better to buy a new mower than to endure taking it in for repair. I do have replacement oil and a new spark plug.

If a new mower is indicated, which one to get? California will stop selling gas mowers in the future, but it's difficult to imagine mowing with a long extension cord.

Alan46

Threads
After such abuse with maintenance it is no wonder. You may have Water in the float bowl. Change the oil, air filter and spark plug.
I was thinking the same thing!

scoyote

Threads
No blade strike. Spark plug looks good. Picture taken. Replaced plug--->. still won't start. Two local repair shops not answering the phone. This mower its at least 15 years old and I'm not skilled enough to repair it myself. Some of your repair troubleshooting is like a foreign language!!

Thinking of getting a battery-operated self-propelled mower, such as

• Ryobi 40V Brushless 20 inch with 6.0 Ah Battery and Charger. ($429)
• Greenworks 40V. 21" with 5.0 Ah battery & charger ($359)
• EGO Power. 21". 56 V. 5.0Ah
• Greenworks 48V. 17". 4.0 Ah. ($239)

Any comments or suggestions?
Don't touch any of the above if you're smart-especially Ryobi or Greenworks (even commercials) if you want electric you will have to pay the big $$ and step up to Makita-Stihl-DeWalt level

bobojay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Personal opinion. What little you use your mower, you made a good choice grabbing that EGO.
I've got 2 pieces of their power equipment, blower and trimmer, which have worked great now for 5+ years. Batteries have not been an issue at all.
Scrap that Honda....

rhkraft

Threads
This wonderful Honda Lawnmower has been reliable. Occasionally there's initial white exhaust, but it always starts with two pulls. Last oil change was three years ago, last spark plug change six years ago. The mower is used 0-2x/week on 1500 sq. ft. of lawn.

Today half of the lawn was mowed, then emptied the bag. Tried restarting the mower and OUCH. The cord pulled back about halfway during the pull. Never has done this before. Pulled again once, and it would not start. Pulled again and the cord met with extreme resistance halfway through the pull again. I gave up and left the section not done.

What would you now do? Seems it's better to buy a new mower than to endure taking it in for repair. I do have replacement oil and a new spark plug.

If a new mower is indicated, which one to get? California will stop selling gas mowers in the future, but it's difficult to imagine mowing with a long extension cord.

rhkraft

Threads
Make sure the rope is not hanging up. I've had that happen. To check, pull the rope slowly and see if it pulls all the way with surges of compression. If it hangs up hard pulling slowly, release and try several times. If it hangs every time, it could be the rope recoil ball ratchet. But before removing anything check to see if the engine is stuck. Remove the spark plug wire and remove the spark plug. Lay the mower on its side, gas tank up to prevent fuel spillage and with gloves slowly turn the engine with the blade in the direction of the cutting edge. If it hangs up the engine has a problem. You should hear compression coming from the spark plug hole, if not, engine problem. At your experience level take it to a repair shop. The rope recoil fix is simple, the engine, a crap shoot. An electric may be OK for your small lawn, but get a good one. Good Luck!

MowerMark

Threads
Thanks, rhkraft. Will do. Was able to extract the center bolt on the Honda, but a new replacement bolt will not arrive for five days. We did purchase the EGO 21" with two batteries, and it is very nice. But will still proceed with the Honda repair attempt as you describe.

PSTEF

Forum Newbie
Threads
Without the blades on, it will be very hard to pull thru. As stated previously the blades act as a flywheel. It looks like the key way is chewed up. Did you order a new key also?
Example shown below

Attachments

• Keyway-lovejoy.jpg
    Keyway-lovejoy.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: