Whats up with ads on posts here?

pollyannasmum

Threads
I also haven't noticed a problem with the ads and I'm usually running this in Google Chrome. I don't mind ads as long as they don't interfere with the text, obviously. There may even be something that I'm interested in buying!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't mind the ads either, but some were actually covering text or pictures in the thread posts.
I don't usually like animated ads or ones that flash etc. :thumbdown:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't mind the ads either, but some were actually covering text or pictures in the thread posts.
I don't usually like animated ads or ones that flash etc. :thumbdown:

About 3 years ago AOL had ads on their homepage for "Lowermybills.com" with animated blue figures dancing around the whole time you were on the page. Whoever came up with that concept should have been tarred and feathered, then strung up by their thumbs and made to watch the ad for 48 hours straight. When I complained they sent me a stock reply: "We are sorry you do not like the ads, we try to choose ads that will appeal to the majority of the members"...

DUH...I bet they had no members THAT ONE appealed to...I truthfully hate most all online advertising, it is very distracting and I can say I have NEVER, EVER considered ANY purchase from an online advertiser. If anything, such ads REPEL ME and make me determined NEVER to do business with the advertiser. Why do the companies that squander millions of dollars on advertising think they are getting more business by doing that? Most people I know feel the same way--ads tick them off.

Does anybody remember when Tiger Woods was the spokesman for GM's Buick brand of cars? I drive a Buick, but did Wood's endorsement mean anything? No, it repelled me, because I can't play golf. :biggrin:

ADVERTISING IS STUPID....:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Slater

Threads
I haven't even though much of the ads. On Chrome, IE9, and Firefox, there have been no display issues here. Honestly if those are the only ads that we will see on this site that is awesome. This site is clean and easy on the eyes. A small add on the top of each thread isn't a problem to me (obviously if they are causing display issues than the bugs need to be worked out.) Most sites have blinking ads on the left right, bottom, top and after every post! If it is that big of a problem, go to
Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client and download the new version of Firefox.
Then go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ and search for "adblock plus"
Download it, restart Firefox, and voila :thumbsup:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
For Firefox users: there's an add-on called "Flashblock" that will prevent Flash content from being loaded unless you click on the object. Flashblock allows the user to specify websites on which Flash content is always loaded and played by default. This is good from a security perspective and also can save you some bandwidth -- so your pages will load faster.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I always try to support advertisers on my favorite sites...
I generally have to buy somethings anyway.... so if I can, I will support those that support my hobbies/pastimes....
I also look for new products and ideas that are brought to my attention, through advertising... :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
........, most of the time it irritates me so much I usually am determined NOT to have anything to do with the advertiser...go figure....:confused2:

I do the same thing. When I get annoyed at a radio ad for a car dealership......when I go looking for a car, I make it a point to go EVERYWHERE else other than the dealer that annoyed me. :biggrin:

Smartaleck

Threads
I also look for new products and ideas that are brought to my attention, through advertising... :smile:KennyV

This is a very valid point. There are loads of things that I wouldn't even be aware of if it wasn't for the adverts. I admit that a few annoy me but, in the main, I'm all for them.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Although I see Kenny's point - you wouldn't know what's out there if not for advertising - I gotta side with JD on this rant.

Whether it's online, on broadcast TV, on cable, or on broadcast/satellite radio, I detest ads. Not because I don't like being informed about new products or services, but because they go by the "if it's annoying, it'll be name recognition" philosophy. "Here's that number for the EIGHTH time....." with the greasy-salesman smile in the voice.......:rolleyes:

First off, for a service you are paying for (like cable or satellite, or in JD's case, AOL), to annoy the heck out of you is just plain rude. You are paying for said service - I'd gladly pay more just to have no advertising. But, to have these services annually raise your membership dues AND still annoy you with advertising is really BS. (Satellite only has ad-free MUSIC. I personally like talk radio. The talk stations are jammed every 15 minutes with ads as if it were broadcast radio - that's why I allowed my subscription to expire last year) I turn down/off the ads. How effective are they now? :wink:

I, like I said above (and akin to JD's thoughts), will NOT buy a slice of ham from someone who thinks it's a good idea to annoy me with their ads. So, they have done precisely the OPPOSITE of what the ad is intended to do.

We have a gargantuan car dealership (and several affiliates) that live and die by this policy. They spam your ears every commercial break, their ads are always shouting, their 'deals' are always a crock, and they spam my real-life mailbox with huge ads with fake keys taped to them. They bring their overpriced junk to the mall and their slick willies crawl all over you like mosquitos if you're unlucky enough to be going to the mall when they're there. They have a campaign on now, that has an addicting online game you can play. You must have to give them access to FB, because every poor schlep that plays this online game ends up advertising for them in their status. Utter stupidity. I will tow a vehicle out of the JUNKYARD and fix it up, rather than give these idiots one thin DIME of my money.

My :2cents:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
twall,....NOBODY COULD HAVE SAID IT BETTER.....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: