What's this Ground (?) wire

nitajobb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I acquired a 2003 yard machine and was able to get it running (fairly) well. Battery, solenoid, oil filter, Original air filter, all replaced, and except for having to keep it half choked I've been able to mow with it. Now, after replacing the fuel line and filter I discovered a random wire had come loose and have no idea where it should be attached, though I believe it came from somewhere in front of the carburetor? Appears to be a ground but I honestly have no idea. (And yes, that's a piece of speaker wire scabbed to a ground) 20230615_174838.jpgNow, it might start and run just for a minute. Not behaving as it did.

tkos115

Threads
I acquired a 2003 yard machine and was able to get it running (fairly) well. Battery, solenoid, oil filter, Original air filter, all replaced, and except for having to keep it half choked I've been able to mow with it. Now, after replacing the fuel line and filter I discovered a random wire had come loose and have no idea where it should be attached, though I believe it came from somewhere in front of the carburetor? Appears to be a ground but I honestly have no idea. (And yes, that's a piece of speaker wire scabbed to a ground) View attachment 65155Now, it might start and run just for a minute. Not behaving as it did.
Take a look at the fuel solenoid on your carburetor, it's the metal cylinder looking thing on the carburetor bowl. It looks like you only have 1 wire going to it. There should be two, one is a power wire and there should be a ground going to it as well. Being that I can only see 1 wire going to it, (the brownish tan wire) I'd bet that the green wire is the ground for it. They generally are a greenish wire color and go right to the engine block like that one does. Take a close look at that solenoid, it might be that the metal tab that connects the wire to the solenoid broke off at the solenoid body. If that solenoid isn't grounded or have power it won't allow fuel to flow into the main jet for the carburetor. When this happens the engine will usually not start, start and then sputter out, or require the choke to be on all the time to keep it running.

Aside from the wire issue, you stated you have to run it on partial choke to have it run well. It also sounds like you have a partially plugged carburetor. You may find that after fixing the wire issue you need to clean the carburetor. Chances are that the internal jets are dirty and need to be cleaned to have it run properly.

Last edited:

nitajobb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take a look at the fuel solenoid on your carburetor, it's the metal cylinder looking thing on the carburetor bowl. It looks like you only have 1 wire going to it. There should be two, one is a power wire and there should be a ground going to it as well. Being that I can only see 1 wire going to it, (the brownish tan wire) I'd bet that the green wire is the ground for it. They generally are a greenish wire color and go right to the engine block like that one does. Take a close look at that solenoid, it might be that the metal tab that connects the wire to the solenoid broke off at the solenoid body. If that solenoid isn't grounded or have power it won't allow fuel to flow into the main jet for the carburetor. When this happens the engine will usually not start, start and then sputter out, or require the choke to be on all the time to keep it running.

Aside from the wire issue, you stated you have to run it on partial choke to have it run well. It also sounds like you have a partially plugged carburetor. You may find that after fixing the wire issue you need to clean the carburetor. Chances are that the internal jets are dirty and need to be cleaned to have it run properly.

Thank you so much. I was able to see how that ground had been attached to the solenoid. Kind of sketchy but it works for today. Needs a lot more work, but it's doing what it should. Thanks again!