What's the neatest tool you've found?

grumpygrizzly

Threads
I'm new to trying my hand at small engine repair and I'm always lookin for multi-purpose tools.

I stopped at a hardware store that had the Arnold Multi-Tool the previous visit I was there but, they were all gone and they said they're not available any longer. So, I picked up an Oregon Top Saw tool for working on chainsaws and other small engines.

I then went home and jumped onto EBay and picked up two of the Arnold tools for under $15-18 shipped.

After using the TopSaw tool a couple of times, it frustrated me how cheaply it was built and is now in the bottom of my tool box. One of the main problems was being able to switch between the two sizes of sockets on that wrench. You have to take a screw out, flip the socket around and fit the screw back in the tool to hold it in place. Well, there are also 4 washers you have to line up to put in between the tool sides and the socket. Good luck with that..

The Arnold Multi-Tool has a bit of a different layout. It has two sockets but, also has two more sockets that sit inside the larger sockets.. They stick out a little past the end of the larger sockets but, when you go to use one, if the inner socket is too small, it pushes into the larger socket and allows you to use it instead. Basically, you have 4 deeo well sockets in the space of two sockets. The inner sockets are also spring loaded and once you're done using the larger socket, the smaller one comes back out. Genius, pure genius..

The other bits are the same as the the TopSaw tool except they don't have the chain tool (Which I haven't begun to figure out how to use) but, instead, they have a tapered spark plug gapper, like a blade with increasing thickness.

I now carry the Arnold tool in my side pocket of my carpenter jeans. There's a pocket made for some kind of carpentry tool that's just the right size to hold that tool. I put a short lanyard on the end of the tool (Where it has a small carabiner to hang from whatever you want to hang it from. The lanyard hangs out of my pocket and makes it super easy to grab the tool.

Another smaller tool I have is called a tip cleaner they use for cleaning propane tips. It must have a dozen small rods in there and those little rods are great for cleaning those small holes in carbs. Each of those rods also have a section about 1/4 to 3/8" up the shaft that is rough like possibly a file would be.

The tool itself has all the bits in one side and a cover that folds over them and keeps them all inside and not getting bent up.

Ohh, I also use an extending magnet pickup tool for picking those little carb parts up off my shop floor that tend to fly out at the most opportune moments. If you see something fly out, try and see the direction it goes in and watch where it lands.. Trying to catch them in mid air is pretty much a futile attempt and will probably cause you to lose the screw or another important part that was being used to hold that part in.

Example would be when you're going into the float areas of a very small chainsaw carb.. You loosen the screw that holds the little pin and the float adjustment flapper thing.. There's a microscopic spring under that rascal that can spring out and fly like a bald eagle on a salmon run.. Believe me, I've seen it.. It's about 1/4" long and smaller in diameter than the springs in ball point pins. You'll usually see this spring launch when you're trying to put it all back together right before you tighten that screw..

Does anyone else have any nifty tools they use on a daily basis they can't live without??

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Digital Multimeter Voltmeter I would be lost without it for electrical work.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I looking at the Arnold Multi-Tool . It looks like it would be a handy tool when I am at the customers home just checking over the job and that way I wouldn't need a small tool box with me. The only thing missing is a pliers.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
DC Shunt , Multi meter, Spark Tester, Computer, Internet connection, Tachometer, sparkplug socket, compressor
and the list can go on and on and on and on.....:laughing:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
A set of craftsman mm size from 8to 18 is probably the most used tool I have.. after that is probably needle nose vice grips but ya when you get into a job the amount of tools you use is astonishing... I have a rule for myself after every project I put all tools away. Even if I get done with one mower and am going to slap another one immediately after I find its best to start with a clean table.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
With all the fancy tools and gimics people come up with the neatest little tool for me is the simplest tool I found and carry is my little Crescent wrench, it's only 2 inches long but it has saved me more times than I can count.:smile:

006.jpg

grumpygrizzly

Threads
I looking at the Arnold Multi-Tool . It looks like it would be a handy tool when I am at the customers home just checking over the job and that way I wouldn't need a small tool box with me. The only thing missing is a pliers.

Exactly, the Arnold Multi-Tool definitely goes with me on customer visits. I also have one hanging from the shelf next to my bench.

Many years ago I always used to carry a very small pair of Craftsman Channel Lock pliers in my pocket. Might try and find a pair of those to add to my visiting kit.

I picked up a three drawer small Craftsman tool box at a yard sale yesterday. I was also able to pick up about 8 deepwell sockets, a ratchet, breaker bar, 12" long extension, a pair of tie-wire pliers, and a couple of other bits as well as a 4" wide roll of heavy duty nylon webbing. All for $10.. Love me some yard sales.. :) I'm thinking of making some belt pouches with the webbing. I've got about 35' of it so should be able to make a couple of specialty holsters

I'm thinking about making up a decent tool box with the Craftsman box and should be able to carry some universal parts int he top bin for onsite repairs. I can keep this in the back of my pickup truck until I get my step van outfitted and set up for a full blown shop.

Vervepipes

Threads
With all the fancy tools and gimics people come up with the neatest little tool for me is the simplest tool I found and carry is my little Crescent wrench, it's only 2 inches long but it has saved me more times than I can count.:smile:

View attachment 20049

I had one of those removed from me prior to boarding a flight several years back, it was a key chain that came with a mastercraft socket set. Mine I'm pretty sure was more of a decoration and I bet it would have broken if I tried to use it, but rules are rules I guess.

tybilly

Threads
a dime makes the best screwdriver,

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say the best tool I have when looking at a repair at a persons home is my trailer. If it can't be fixed with very few tools and time it go's on the trailer to my shop. Any time I go to look at a repair job the trailer go's with me.