What's the fix for rust-through holes in the deck?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds good.
Post a couple of pix when it is done & don't forget the paint.
The usual culprit for rusting out decks is allowing clippings to sit on the deck
So BLOW down the deck when you have finished mowing and DO NOT USE WATER.
Dry grass clippings will adsorb lots of water & are quite acidic and acid water promotes rust.
Just about every paint, is porus which is why you need to use at least 2 coats on everything that is used outdoors.
I use a compressor & a 4' long air duster.
others use a leaf blower.
If necessary cut some blow paths in the pulley covers to aid blowing them out.

deckeda

Threads
My current plan is to get the deck cleaned where paint is gone and flaky and surface rust is, possibly blasted if that's an option. At least decently sanded/wire brushed. And then coat with something like POR 15 and then 2 coats of paint. I don't plan on repainting the whole thing, just protecting it. Not trying to make it pretty.

Yesterday I told my boy that we (since he helps mow the lawns) should be air blowing them clean after mowing. AND I also already have a really nice riding mower hydraulic lift and the air compressor. So there's no excuse (except I do need to actually buy the air gun first.)

He replied, "Sounds like a lot of work ..." and I readily concede that after spending a few hours out mowing, what I want next is a beer, not to put the machine on the lift and create a grass/mud mess in the garage.

So to illustrate my point about preventative maintenance I made him help me scrape off dried grass and mud from underneath other mower decks, one of which is the 48" deck from the other 265. It's got a series of small rust holes on the leading edge, one in the middle that looks like it started from a rock dent. When the 46" comes back that one will get patched.

But surprisingly, the spindle hub areas look clean underneath and even have paint still. Even more surprising to me was that after I pulled the pulley covers off there was basically no grass, no mud there! And this, despite the tractor looking like it has gone through a dust bowl of filth. So no rust in the "valley" of the pulleys topside. I know some deck designs just pool grass and rust right there, which is idiotic in my opinion.

I'm a believer in the design of the heavier-duty 48" deck for these generation of tractors. I'll be keeping a lookout for another one, possibly the 50" that was also available. I might even install the pulley covers again, something I'd assumed I wouldn't want to do on the 48".

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once you get them clean and make the little mods so you can get the air duster in there, you can do it beer in hand cause it is a one hand job and being 4' away from the business end you won't get grass in your beer.
The bottom is less important than the top.
Decks rarely rust through from the bottom and if they do it is on the skirts which is not really structural.
The valleys around the spindles, exactly where yours has gone is the trouble place.

deckeda

Threads
  • / What's the fix for rust-through holes in the deck?
Once you get them clean and make the little mods so you can get the air duster in there, you can do it beer in hand cause it is a one hand job and being 4' away from the business end you won't get grass in your beer.
The bottom is less important than the top.
Decks rarely rust through from the bottom and if they do it is on the skirts which is not really structural.
The valleys around the spindles, exactly where yours has gone is the trouble place.

Yes but I think the opposite is true for my other deck (the 48" I mentioned) Its rusty holes are basically on the leading top edge, where water would not accumulate on top. But underneath, sure.