What to look for when my Gravely HVZ 2350 won't start

lakefly

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / What to look for when my Gravely HVZ 2350 won't start
It seems every time I go to start my mower, there is a dead spot in the starter. It will turn over once or twice then I have to turn the key off and try again. It seems to work better when the battery is charged, but even then it happens occasionally. The last time i used it before winter, it won't even turn over at all, so am I looking at a bad starter, solenoid, safety switch or what? Any help to put me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. At the moment the battery is fully charged. I took the cover off the engine and the starter gear is up, engaged on the motor ring gear.

HVZ2350

model# 915084
serial# 001310

Motor - PS-SV720-0023
serial# 3608122683

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by pulling the spark plug out.
If the motor turns over quickly then you need to adjust the valve lash ( tappet clearance ).
Most times a customer comes in with a "bad battery / bad starter" the mower just needs the valves adjusted.
These are generally the owners who do their own maintenance ( change oil / replace filters ).
Even better is when they have bought a new battery ( $ 150 ) then a new OEM starter ( $ 200 ) and I fix it for $ 60 & tell them they pissed the $ 350 up against the wall.

If it is no better with plugs removed then eliminate the solenoid by running a pair of jumpers from the battery directly to the starter.
Put the - on a good earth like the oil drain plug and the + on the power wire from the solenoid to the starter.
I usually connect the + first as you always get a big flash and there is a big chance of hitting the side of the starter thus directly shorting the battery.

If still no joy then it really is the starter and it needs looking at.
You can get all the individual bits for it.

If the starter tested OK on the jump start then reconnect the battery, leaving the earth jumper in place.
If all OK now you have an earth problem

If not then there is a starter circuit / solenoid problem.

You can thest the solenoid by using a pair of thin jumper leads to trigger the solenoid.
If it has 1 small wire then put your - on one of the bolts that hold the solenoid in place and the + on the terminal the small wire goes to.
If the solenoid does not fire then it is cactus.
If it tests OK then you are looking at a problem with the starter switch , or the saftey interlock switches and these get really complicated so you will need a circut diagram

SUMrTOY

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this is old, but did you find the solution to your issue?
I'm having the same problem... I'm thinking it's the starter, but the valve lash adjustment seems like it could also be the case.

My starter doesn't retract. It seems to stay engaged with the flywheel at all times. It also seems to be pulling too much voltage from the battery. I don't have a volt meter, but when jumped to my car, it's enough to dim the headlights. My test light will all but go out when turn it over. IT will spin if directly connected, but the pinion does not move in/out and is not a true test under load.

I'm heading out for a new starter today, but am worried it might be as bert states and it's a valve issue. Will also need to test without plugs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Starter can not draw too much voltage, 12 V is all you got and 12V is all you can get.
It can draw too many Amps and you will notice that because it will get very hot very quickly.
The Bendix gear not retracting will be due to a build up of crud in the spiral.
Clean it, lube it lightlt and try again.
If it jambs into the bottom of the flywheel then the retaining pin/collet has worn & needs replacing.

SUMrTOY

Forum Newbie
Threads
Starter can not draw too much voltage, 12 V is all you got and 12V is all you can get.
It can draw too many Amps and you will notice that because it will get very hot very quickly.
The Bendix gear not retracting will be due to a build up of crud in the spiral.
Clean it, lube it lightlt and try again.
If it jambs into the bottom of the flywheel then the retaining pin/collet has worn & needs replacing.

Thanks. I ended up trying a new starter and it now fires up like a champ. I thought it might be valve lash, but it ran fine when started. I'll still take off the valve covers and check my clearance with a feeler gauge, but it's running good now. :smile: