what mower for a hard working 87 yr old?

itsfit

Forum Newbie
Threads
My father-inlaw wants a new mower he "helps" cut his 10 achers but his rider finaly died don't know what to get him any ideas? he said no green ones Ironic he like my scotts(same thing)BTW he's 87.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
How big is the budget??
at what point between $150 and $38,000.
Somewhere between the spread you will be able to find the right color mower...

I have personal mowing equipment at both ends of this ... and some between.
I got the mowers I have to try to cut back on the hard work part.... before I'm 87 I hope to have cut back to a STOP on hard work:smile:...KennyV

indypower

Threads
I would suggest you take him tractor shopping and have him sit on the tractors to get a "feel" for it. And go to different shops and try different brands.

itsfit

Forum Newbie
Threads
I guess he will part with 2 grand the 8n is to much for him anymore. the old craftsman we bought him he killed lol took eight years of abuse. I didn't know I needed to be so specific. I thought you would know what I ment by green so................no John Deere.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
itsfit...
I got the no green...
With 2k plus what he should be able to get for an 8n ... he could get a very nice used ZTR that he would just like...
Do as indypower suggested have him try out a few ZTR's, if he has struggled with an old Ford tractor he will just love it. And when he really wants to take it a little easier, You can take over ZTR mowing... Too much fun... KennyV:smile::smile:

humpty

Threads
My wife's mother is 83 and she still cuts her own grass with a push mower. That is one stubborn old woman. If you don't want to buy something new check the local Trading Post for used but good condition mowers.

jb5050

Forum Newbie
Threads
My father-inlaw wants a new mower he "helps" cut his 10 achers but his rider finaly died don't know what to get him any ideas? he said no green ones Ironic he like my scotts(same thing)BTW he's 87.
at 87 ANY DAMM MOWER HE WANTS.:laughing::thumbsup:

monica123

Threads
I'd say if he is still spry enough to cut the grass himself at 87 he should be able to get whatever he wants, that is an accomplishment. My Gran still gardens at 75.

noma

Threads
Hi itsfit

I'm with the rest of them at 87 i would get him what he want's , i think the person that said try different models out and see witch one works the best for him.Let him try them out in there parking lot or if they have a spot where you can try out the mower on there grass. I think he need one that there is not a lot of controls for him to worry about, less confusion of levers and handles.And if you don't like green don"t go green

jimbo64

Threads
itsfit...
I got the no green...
With 2k plus what he should be able to get for an 8n ... he could get a very nice used ZTR that he would just like...
Do as indypower suggested have him try out a few ZTR's, if he has struggled with an old Ford tractor he will just love it. And when he really wants to take it a little easier, You can take over ZTR mowing... Too much fun... KennyV:smile::smile:

i agree with Kenny--------on the zero turn======check craigs list-some usually there at decent prices once you decide which one you like:smile: