what chainsaw to get?

m&p45

Threads
Im sure this question has been asked a 1,000 times but ive been searching alot and am still unsure what to get. First let me say what ill be using it for, I wont be dropping any trees that i know of, just trimming some trees and cutting up some stuff thats already on the ground nothing huge. it wont be used much, maybe alot at first but once i get caught up ill probably only use it a couple times a month at the most.

I did have my mind made up on a stihl ms170, but im worried it may be a little underpowered. The selling points on the stihl for me are that it does NOT have a tool less chain adjustment, price ($179), i have a stihl dealer about a mile from my house, and obviously the stihl name.

So i guess my question is should i go with a craftsman or a cheaper name so i can get a little more power and maybe a bigger bar, or do you think the stihl will fit just fine for what i need? id like to keep whatever i decide to get under the $200 mark.

Much thanks in advance for any input!:thumbsup:

scott47429

Threads
you wont find a much better saw then a Stihl or a Husqvarna although since your not going to be useing it alot then maybe just buy a cheaper saw like a reman homelite or just go with a craftsman

possum

Threads
If you have alot of trimming to do and power is fairly close get an electric polesaw that the saw can be removed to use as a regular chainsaw. They are good little saws if you are careful with them. Most of the Craftsman saws I have looked at are Poulan. There is little difference between a Poulan and a cheap Stihl. The Stihl is close by, and has very good support with parts and repair, Craftsman has fair support with parts and repair. The difference in price is small, and the resale value of the Stihl is better. Buy the Stihl, but make sure you like the dealer first. My only gripe with folks that buy cheap Stihl saws are they get hung up on the name. Almost every guy I know who buys one for yard use ends up buying a Poulan or Craftsman for the dirty jobs they do not want to use that good Stihl for. So in the end they would have been better off to just buy a Poulan or some other cheap branded saw instead.

Popeye

Threads
I've got a Stihl MS250 and 75% at least of the stuff I have cut with it I could have used a smaller saw

Parkmower

Threads
I have a small arsenal of saws including 2 stihl ms290, McCullogg Titan 57. Husq 345. Old big Sachs-dollar. A small top handle husq. And a poulan pioneer with 14" bar.
And though I love the stilhls and husqs. The poulan has never let me down. Ive dropped 10-12" trees with no problem. It's nice and light. And takes the abuse with only dull chains after. The chains are cheap for it so I have 2-3 to swap out and sharpen later.
Always sharpen by hand and every 3-4 sharpenings I'll hit the rakers too.

m&p45

Threads
Hmm you guys are not making this easy:laughing: as far as the electric saw goes I'm not going that route. I'll be getting a pole saw attachment for my craftsman trimmer for the tall stuff. One thing I really don't want is the tool less chain tensioner adjustment which seems to be prevalent on the cheaper saws :thumbdown:

Thanks again for the opinions keep em coming

MBTRAC

Threads
I'd stick with Sthil or Husqvarna based on reliabilty/parts support/safety features- though I have no ownership experience with saws below 50cc - each are good brands, & each brand/moldel feels a little different in your "hand", so it all comes down to personal preference, dealer location/relationship etc ...IMO the Husky in small saws fire up far easier & their startup/shutdown controls & maintenance are more intuitive for operators, nothing against Stihl's it just seems small Husky's are just a tad marginally better in these areas (conversely I find in large saws the Stihl fitration system far better, staying cleaner in heavy all day applications)

As general recommendations, if possble buy a slightly bigger than smaller saw, don't be talked into too big a bar (with experience/thought you can cut at least double the bar length less c2inches without drama), make certain the chain oiler is adjustable,, for longevity get a bar with a greasable bar sprocket, dismiss any saw with a "quick twist" chain adjustment, nothing but trouble - stick with the proven screw/2 nut adjustment, run the saw on premium 2 Stroke @ 50:1 non-ethanol fuel/good bar oil/clean filters/& a sharp properly adjusted chain....& it should last at least c.10yrs+.........and if you are going to store for a month or more, empty the fuel from the tank & run the saw till out of fuel (2stroke fuel goes off very quckly & any aged fuel left in the saw will lead to starting woes longer term).

In trimming or any applications don't be tempted to cut from a ladder or above shoulder height, use a chainsaw only with both feet on the ground & if you need to go higher use a pole saw....the smallest chain saw is still capable of of inflicting serious injury just like their bigger brothers, & in some respects trimming with small saws you are more likely to encounter kickback, jamming ...etc...so take your time & use them wisely.

We own/operate many saws on our farms, & with 35yr+ professional rural chainsaw use & logging experience have tried most of the mainstream brands over the years & a few "throw aways" too....a sharp chain & a patient safe operator who plans their cuts will make up for most limitations of saw brands/models/size.

Good luck & let us what know you decide on, why & how you find the ownership experience

Last edited:

Popeye

Threads
Re: The li polymer battery for your mower

Hi everyone , I am Primo. Our company is the supplier of li polymer battery supplier of China. You see, li polymer battery is the trend of battery market. Not only have smaller size, steady output ,but also the reliable quality. So it is the great alternative of acid battery.

To now, we have the ability to design and research any product you want. Wish a chance to cooperate with you.

Sincerely,
Primo
Jianlin Technology Co.,LTD
J-lin.tech1@hotmail.com

This thread is not for advertisement purposes. If you want to offend some people this is the way to do it.

Threads
Exactly.....he posted the same message in like 6 different threads having nothing to do with it!:mad: