Weed eater will not stay running

fixit

Forum Newbie
Threads
My craftsman gas weed eater will not stay running. It also leaks fuel. I have already replaced the fuel lines. I can get it statred in choke mode but it will only run for a few minutes and cuts off. While running, as soon as I apply the throttle it cuts out.

Any sugguestions please?

msaeger

Threads
Sounds exactly like the ryobi one I got off craigslist :) Mine leaks gas because there is a crack in the tank. I don't know how to fix the poor running. On mine it will do that then after it gets warmed up it works ok. I just plan on buying a new one.

Tommyboyxd

Threads
Just a few thoughts, you may have already done, but I throw them out there.

Have you changed out the spark plug?

And are you using gas from last year? Or do you have the right 50:1 mix?

And last, how is the air filter? If it is super dirty you will want to clean it or maybe replace it.

Winger

Threads
Pinpoint the gas leak first. It may be a carb gasket or just a faulty carb. Then once you got that cured use fresh 90 octane gas for starters and check the idle screw as it may be set low.

Ifixdit

Threads
My craftsman gas weed eater will not stay running. It also leaks fuel. I have already replaced the fuel lines. I can get it statred in choke mode but it will only run for a few minutes and cuts off. While running, as soon as I apply the throttle it cuts out.

Any sugguestions please?

If it's the carb leaking, your needle is most likely not seating properly.

CauZey

Threads
I have a toro doin the same thing. New lines, clean fuel , new filter fuel and air . Starts on choke runs a few moments then kills . If you give it throttle it will die every time.

Toro1

Threads

Any sugguestions please?

Two things come to mind:
Verify that the primer bulb is filling w/fuel when pumping to prime unit. If not, you have a carb/diaphragm/primer bulb issue.
If primer is ok, turn the 'L' mixture screw (closest to the engine) 1/8 - 1/4 turn counterclockwise and see if this improves the performance.
If this improves the performance, let the unit warm up w/choke off. Burp the throttle to hi speed. If the unit responds w/o hesitation or stalling, you're done. If it still bogs down a little before hitting full rpm's, turn the 'L' screw counterclockwise another 1/8 turn and repeat the throttle test.

RussellTP

Threads
I remember that I removed the muffler and cleaned out black buildups inside the port. It ran great.:smile: