Weather Forecasts

Driller

Threads
Just out of curiosity, do you rely on the weather forecasts to plan your maintenance schedule for outdoor projects? They've gotten better at their forecasts but I still think sometimes it's best to just look out the window.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just out of curiosity, do you rely on the weather forecasts to plan your maintenance schedule for outdoor projects? They've gotten better at their forecasts but I still think sometimes it's best to just look out the window.

I use the internet. I can find out acurately what the weather will be 24 hours out or more. I can get one of several nexrad loops that will tell me the exact location, direction and speed of any storm cells within 300 miles or more. Sure, I look out the window and if I see something that concerns me I get on the net and find out exactly what direction it is moving and how lomg until it passes.
http://www.wunderground.com/ This is my favorite, I can get the current weather or a detailed weather history of just about anywhere in the US
Intellicast - Current Radar in United States
I also use this one for a second opinion if you will. Living in Florida, especially in the summer you have to know what is going on. I'm sure it's the same in places like Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma, just about anywhere, weather is important, it seems to get more extreme every year.
If your talking about the local tv news? I'l watch it if I happen to catch it but I really feel that I have access to all of the information they have, I just don't have the training and expertise to interpret it.

Last edited:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use the internet. I can find out acurately what the weather will be 24 hours out or more. I can get one of several nexrad loops that will tell me the exact location, direction and speed of any storm cells within 300 miles or more. Sure, I look out the window and if I see something that concerns me I get on the net and find out exactly what direction it is moving and how lomg until it passes.
Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground
This is my favorite, I can get the current weather or a detailed weather history of just about anywhere in the US
Intellicast - Current Radar in United States
I also use this one for a second opinion if you will. Living in Florida, especially in the summer you have to know what is going on. I'm sure it's the same in places like Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma, just about anywhere, weather is important, it seems to get more extreme every year.
If your talking about the local tv news? I'l watch it if I happen to catch it but I really feel that I have access to all of the information they have, I just don't have the training and expertise to interpret it.

Thanks for those links. I'm a dedicated weather freak. I do a lot of cycling and getting caught in any kind of rain at current temperatures (high 30sF) is undesirable so I check the online weather maps frequently. I usually go to weather.com. They recently improved their animations. Here's my current weather map:

Animated map for my zipcode in Atlanta

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use the Weather channel app on my android phone ... but if I'm wanting exactly whats up ... it's wunderground... that site has everything you need to accurately interpret whats going on, their "wunder" map lets you load up a lot of information at near real time... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use the Weather channel app on my android phone ... but if I'm wanting exactly whats up ... it's wunderground... that site has everything you need to accurately interpret whats going on, their "wunder" map lets you load up a lot of information at near real time... :smile:KennyV

I have carried a Blackberry since '02, it allows me to keep real time track of weather conditions and the forecasts given via TV can be WAY, WAY OFF. Still, there is no excuse not to keep an eye out for weather conditions locally, many times I have been working outside on a vehicle or doing carpentry work, and because I can see several miles in every direction while viewing the sky, I can spot impending rainstorms, etc. that appear in short notice.