Weak Hydro pump

Hopper1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a 2000,928D2, 1100hrs. It is weak on the right side, it seems to drive straight but turning forward or reverse is very weak. Is there any way to check oil pressure? Any ideas?

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I just bought a 2000,928D2, 1100hrs. It is weak on the right side, it seems to drive straight but turning forward or reverse is very weak. Is there any way to check oil pressure? Any ideas?

Bearings wear out in Hydro Pumps, you can get them rebuilt if you don't wait until it goes out completely. When they go out completely they sometimes will crack the housing. If the housing cracks your buying a new one. If you get it rebuilt, make sure they or you flush all lines out completely pror to installing the Hydro Pump back.

Take it to a professional to rebuild, lot of small parts that have to be in their right place. Should be able to get it done for 1/2 the cost of a new one if not better.

Hope that helps!

Hopper1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bearings wear out in Hydro Pumps, you can get them rebuilt if you don't wait until it goes out completely. When they go out completely they sometimes will crack the housing. If the housing cracks your buying a new one. If you get it rebuilt, make sure they or you flush all lines out completely pror to installing the Hydro Pump back.

Take it to a professional to rebuild, lot of small parts that have to be in their right place. Should be able to get it done for 1/2 the cost of a new one if not better.

Hope that helps!

If the bearings are bad, is the OIL pressure low?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the bearings are bad, is the OIL pressure low?

I wouldn't suspect bearings.... My bet would be on internal seals leaking ... seams like CajunCub has commented on resealing these pumps...
He should be along any time, with some first hand info... :smile:KennyV
BTW... welcome to LMF...:smile:

CajunCub

Threads
Low pressure in these hydro pumps can be fixed "IF", your willing do the work. Basically, you take it all apart and clean everything, reseal it, then replace the fluid with the OEM recommended stuff. These pumps only fail because the fluid brakes down into mudd. They are full of springs & balls then disc/clutches, I have done them and they would work like new again. Get ready for some intense assembling, but no special tools are needed. If you have never done one just keep a camera beside you and photo everything to refer back if you get jammed up. Good Luck, PM if you need more help.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I wouldn't suspect bearings.... My bet would be on internal seals leaking ... seams like CajunCub has commented on resealing these pumps...
He should be along any time, with some first hand info... :smile:KennyV
BTW... welcome to LMF...:smile:

Bearings arn't out yet, if they were you would be going no where but a circle. Seals and bearings all will be replaced in the rebuild. A seal will often go first, that causes the bearing to. I had this problem in the past. My mechanic told me it's not uncommon at the 1100 to 1500 hr mark. That is a lot of hrs on a mower.

I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner knew about this and decided to just get new equipment to avoid downtime posibly. It's not that big of deal, get it rebuilt and you'll have a good operating mower.

Hopper1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Low pressure in these hydro pumps can be fixed "IF", your willing do the work. Basically, you take it all apart and clean everything, reseal it, then replace the fluid with the OEM recommended stuff. These pumps only fail because the fluid brakes down into mudd. They are full of springs & balls then disc/clutches, I have done them and they would work like new again. Get ready for some intense assembling, but no special tools are needed. If you have never done one just keep a camera beside you and photo everything to refer back if you get jammed up. Good Luck, PM if you need more help.

where do I get seals?

CajunCub

Threads
We have a Grasshopper dealer here, don't know if they have a web page...but, it's South Circle Tractor in Alexandria, Louisiana.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
where do I get seals?

If you can't get them from a local mower shop, you probably have a hydrolic shop near you. They usually work on the big stuff, front end loaders, etc... but they should still be able to get you what you need. When I had one go out, the oil still looked new. Take a flash light and look in hydrolic reservoir, look for metal flakes and metal gold dust. Bet you will see some more than likely. Flush it out too!

173abn

Threads
Look for a place where you live that sell Grasshopper or don't know where you are in Oklahoma but Grasshopper is located in Moundridge ,Kansas phone #is 316-345-8621.They also have a web site...russ